• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Taladega Marksmanship Park has rack grades.

I know nothing about M1's. What should I look for if I head over there?

Just my opinion….there are so many variables to consider. Think about what you want before you go.,.shooter? Showpiece? Heirloom?

Shooter: ME and TE are below “3”. These are on the hang tag. Stock fits well. Sights hold position. Typically a little cheaper but not as pretty. Minimal rust/pitting.

Showpiece: All of the above and are usually the higher priced models, like the SA in the 6mm serial range. Appears new, all parts match.

Collector/heirloom: all of the above and a rare version like IHC “gap” or a collector grade. Sniper variants are nice.

I’ll be glad to help you all I can

650, here everybody wants 1200+, any reason the difference on pricing I wonder?
Think of a convenience store it’s higher but easier.

Some people don’t want to do to the trouble of going to Anniston.

It’s worth the ride not just to save $ but to experience it.

The old CMP days were wonderful.

650, here everybody wants 1200+, any reason the difference on pricing I wonder?

The 650 rifles haven’t been sold there in a long time, this is a rare thing. I think of them like ‘gunsmith specials’ that require some level of work and parts to get them into a more desirable condition. Just a stock set alone would cost a couple hundred bucks, barrels are 250-350, Many folks break them down for their parts and use them to repair other rifles. The other rifles available at TMP cost between 850 and 2300….

I read ”rifles in Talladega” last night in bed and made the trip this morning … They had M1Cs on the rack!!!

Anyone happen to be hoarding a complete mount, or upper mount for the M1C? :)

Congrats on a great score! :usa2: They are fun shooters too….

The period-correct mounts are scarce and typically run over 2k when found. Those original mounts were made by the Griffin and Howe company and they are still in business….you can get a newly-built mount on their website to save bucks.

The original m82 scopes tend to be pricey too, 1k-2k. The cmp had a very nice repro scope made that can be had for around $450. Marine Corp model M82g2 Sniper Scope by Hi-Lux. If you google that model they will show up.

8F8806A6-10FC-4594-BD1C-8F9BC3309C02.jpeg
56B3328E-067F-4793-B3EE-6C2758266812.jpeg

I know nothing about M1's. What should I look for if I head over there?

If you haven’t made it out there yet … There’s a lot of information on the internet and several books by Scott Duff that will help you get started. Here’s my 2 cents and a recommendation to get you into fray:

My favorite rifle is affectionately known as “The Ugliest M1 in The World” …

I visited Anniston several times over the course of a month. Each time I visited I picked up the same Garand and laughed (at the rifle). It was a Rack Grade post war Springfield and the stock was tar black. It felt sticky and oily at the same time. It was awful and I felt sorry for it... I remember the action was sticky and the whole rifle even smelled funny. I took a look at the armorer‘s card and noticed the rifle had been sitting on the rack for several months. I joked and said ”look this one is coming up on a Birthday! I also noticed the barrel numbers — ME 0 and TE 1 — these numbers represent essentially a new barrel. Long story short .. I decided to take her home.

So… I disassemble the rifle and I spend a solid 8 hours degreasing, liquid sanding, steaming, oiling and waxing the stock. I go through the action, clean lubricate and after reassembly I take my new friend out the field and work on a zero. It was at this time I learned my new M1 Garand was actually a laser beam. First shot on the paper at 25 yards. 3 shots later hits the 9 ring … push to 50 … push to 100 … 9 ring group. She’s ugly, but she bad!

Here’s my point brother … Visit CMP and pick an ugly rifle that smells funny. Look for low Muzzle and Throat Values — 0/0 … 0/1 … 1/1, etc. These numbers represent a barrel with very little use if any. Look in the bottom corner of the blue armorer’s card for the barrel date. A 1945 M1 with a 1952 SA Barrel is a god thing. Look for ”clean” metal on the receiver. Look for a tight fit — receiver to stock — you can have the staff remove the action from the stock. If the trigger guard need a little persuasion to open and receiver needs a little nudge to separate from the stock that’s a good thing. The staff will point you in the right direction. DO NOT be distracted by pretty wood.

All that said, $650 can and will buy you a fantastic shooter that you can compete with, hunt with and solve real world problems in the event of an invasion. Feel free to reach out with questions and good luck.

A37C4574-11DC-4BD8-80FA-EC393E80469B.jpeg
4A6599F5-35FE-4B19-BF5A-BF9FBADB2A7A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom