• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Talk me into a Dillon 650

this helps a ton for extruded powders in a Dillon powder measure. polishing helps too.

PERFECT POWDER BAFFLE DILLON

there are other baffles that work well too.

personally I run 550s(one small and one large primer unit).. easier to change setups and cheaper than the 650.

if you run a large amount of a single caliber then the 650 would be better... but they are a pain when you have an issue just getting them back in sync.

Dillon is a great family owned business who really stands behind their product.

tons of very innovative upgrades for Dillon products

I have had a 550 and a 650.

The 550 is - as others have said - is better for loading many different caliber cartridges, and is easier to switch between large and small primer setups.

The 650 has a MUCH better primer system and an extra die position, but it is harder to convert from one caliber to another.

The 650's handle leverage is better than the 550, particularly when sizing rifle cases.

The 650 accesories are pricier than the 550.

After tweenty years of loading, I now have two 650's. I leave one setup for each primer size.

I augment the process with a single stage for various steps while reloading rifles.

A 650 without a case feeder is faster than than a 550.

They are both good.

this helps a ton for extruded powders in a Dillon powder measure. polishing helps too.

PERFECT POWDER BAFFLE DILLON

there are other baffles that work well too.

personally I run 550s(one small and one large primer unit).. easier to change setups and cheaper than the 650.

if you run a large amount of a single caliber then the 650 would be better... but they are a pain when you have an issue just getting them back in sync.

Dillon is a great family owned business who really stands behind their product.

tons of very innovative upgrades for Dillon products

When I do make the leap, I am pretty sure I'll go for the 650. Just load a **** load of one 9mm sub loading because I've yet to find anything I like more.

The best advice I can give you is to just bite the bullet and buy it. I recently upgraded from a lee turret to a 650 with a case feeder about two months ago and I wish I would've done it two years ago. Whatever you do buy the case feeder, you'll be constantly running that feed tube dry and it gets old fast. Takes me about 7 minutes to run 100 rds of 9mm.

No matter which Dillon you buy, you will love it.
I started with a 450 then moved up to a 550.
I then bought another 550 so I could set one for small and one for large primers.
I have a 450 set up for 223 that I upgraded to the 550 primer system, powder measure, and primer buzzer.
I have loaded 2000 rounds in one setting with 550.
Also all my Dillon"s have the roller handle.
I have two single stage loaders (RCBS and Lyman) to develop loads.

Dillon machines just work! I can't say it any simpler.

Yes the price is high, but compare it to a Rock Island 1911 vs a Wilson. They do the same thing but the Wilson does everything better and is more enjoyable to shoot. You can tinker with your Rock Island for years and dump tons of money in it, but you will never be satisfied cause it isn't a Wilson...

I have the 550 and a 650. I RARELY use the 550 anymore. I have an extra priming system for the 650. Take out 2 bolts and you can go from small to large primers. If your ever near flowery branch your welcome to stop by.

The 550 or the 650?FAQ Top
Although one of the tougher comparative decisions, I seldom recommend the 650 over the 550 as your first progressive machine, and even less as your first reloading machine in general. The 650, w/Casefeeder and auto-indexing, is a complex machine compared to the 550. However, a few exceptions for the 650 might be:

You're shooting USPSA or IDPA pistol competition, or are planning to.
You're an experienced reloader looking to upgrade from another brand.
Plan to use the machine to load one or two calibers in high volume.
Are not only tired of messing with your current piece of junk, but in general, would prefer to spend more time either shooting or hanging out with your wife or kids than reloading.
Price is not an object.
Your're not afraid of a complex machine.
You usually know if you are ready for the 650. Almost always, the 550 is a better choice over the 650 because of the reasons mentioned in the Sq Deal vs 550 comparison above.

Sill not sure: 550 vs. 650; or 650 vs. 1050
Here's another way to help make your decision: How many rounds you will load in one caliber before switching to another caliber? (Apply this logic to ALL the calibers you will load on the press.)

Rounds you will load before changing to another caliber:

550: 100 - 200+ rounds
650: 1000 - 2000+ rounds
1050: 5000+ rounds
It's so easy to switch calibers on the 550 - if you just load 100 or 200 rounds, you won't mind changing to load another caliber. On the 650 however, I wouldn't want to change calibers unless I'd loaded a minimum of 1000 - 2000 rounds. And on the 1050, that number would be 5000 or more rounds, at the absolute minimum.

If this will be my first press, is the 650 too complicated? (Answer opens new window in my forum.)

If you think the 550 is best for you, but feel you'd really like a 650, especially if you have friends with 650's who are pressuring you to buy one - check this discussion in my forum (Weed through all the "buy from Brian" stuff at the beginning to get to tazmo65's post.) (opens new window)

If you are leaning toward the 650 (over the 550) because of the Powder Check System - Check this thread in my Forum.

This is from another forum

I own a 550 and I agree with this analysis. I used to shoot competitively and I would load 500 .38 special at one sitting. It took less than an hour. The biggest PITA is loading the primer tubes. Would switch over to .44 Spec. and .44 Magnum no problem. It takes some finesse to load a heavy bullet over a heavy charge for .44 magnum, and I'm not sure the fully auto 650 is the deal for that.

My opinion is that unless you are loading for a police department, or are a semi-pro shooter, the expensive of the 650 isn't justified. In fact, one feature of the 650 may actually be a hindrance, which is the auto advance. If you make a boo boo, clearing the faulty round can be a real "witch". Also, the case feeder is nice, but I don't feel I'm handicapped doing it manually, and there's something to be said for putting hands on every case. But then my dad felt the same way about a/c in cars.

The roller arm is a must have.

Back
Top Bottom