• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Talk me into a Dillon 650

Find a friend with a 650, and experience it for yourself. You'll be hooked. I run two, one for 9/45/40, and one for 223 (trimmer installed) both have case feeders and one day bullet feeders. The 1050 will someday be added to the mix. Everything else sees a single stage press.

BTW, I've had a couple of small parts break, and I've lost a couple of parts, and have never paid for anything.

I can't imagine a company having better service than Dillon. It's almost an anachronism.

The best advice I can give you is to just bite the bullet and buy it. I recently upgraded from a lee turret to a 650 with a case feeder about two months ago and I wish I would've done it two years ago. Whatever you do buy the case feeder, you'll be constantly running that feed tube dry and it gets old fast. Takes me about 7 minutes to run 100 rds of 9mm.

you still loading that 165 sub?

the lee 1000 primer system makes me want to rip the thing off the bench sometimes and just bash it into the wall over and over.

Why not a hornady? If you need to be talked into a 650...perhaps your inner guts tell you to think twice. I don't doubt the quality of a 650 but if you can get that same output but with less on a hornady AP...why not?

the lee 1000 primer system makes me want to rip the thing off the bench sometimes and just bash it into the wall over and over.

You'll love the upgrade to a 650. I went over to my buddies house to help setup his Lee 1000, left 6 hrs later and the primer system still didn't work right. What a piece of crap, out of the box it wasn't indexed right and we had to adjust it. He said he found aftermarket parts online that helped make the priming system better.

A buddy at church wanted my opinion on the lee 1000 and I told him to forget it. I showed him the dillon 650 and he bought one. With no experience reloading at all, he watched youtube vids and setup most of it before I went over to check it out. All I did was double check his settings which were correct, we setup his bullet seating die and he was cranking out 5.56 ammo in 20 minutes. What a beautiful machine.

The Hornady is a long way behind the 650 in terms of performance.

+1 on that. I had a Hornady Ammo Plant and got rid of it. I now have a 650xl with case feeder and can do 600 rounds 9mm in a hour. The only thing I liked better on the Hornady was the quick change dies. That I liked. Get a 650xl, it's just a better design in a lot of ways. Will a Ammo plant work yes but not without a lot more problems and stoppages. Running out of primers is when I have a stoppage or a 380 sneaks in.

Back
Top Bottom