• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Talking about school security...what guns?

If the defensive weapon kept in the school were a high-capacity semi auto "assault" type weapon, IT would be an attractive target for a murderer. The killer need only ambush and disable or kill the teacher to gain access to the weapon that he can then use to kill dozens of kids.

Maybe to make the "defense gun" less attractive to a school shooter, it should be a LOW CAPACITY firearm.
Like, for example, a lever-action .30-30 rifle. Plenty of stopping power. Blasts through most body armor. Great accuracy. Fast to use with open sights. Some models are easy to mount optics to, also. A 50mm wide-body red dot scope would be great. Yet, it's unlikely a disturbed teen would try to steal this weapon to use in a massacre.

A pump-action rifle like a Remington 760 / 7600 would be good, too.
They come with 4-round standard mags. 10-round aftermarket mags have been available for decades.
It comes in many calibers, but a low-recoiling .243 Win seems about ideal. 85 gr. bullets leaving the muzzle at 3100 f.p.s. is very deadly.

Think of it as like a pump shotgun (reliable and simple, with unquestioned stopping power) but without the recoil of a 12 or 20 ga. scattergun that throws an ounce of lead at a time.

(If the school has the budget for a little customization, I say have a gunsmith trim an inch off the buttstock, cut 6" off the barrel and weld-on a muzzle brake/ compensator, and stick a reflex / red dot sight on it.)
While that's a very interesting sounding concept that I'd be all in for pics of I still think the M1 Carbine with the 15 or 30 round mags would be perfect for the job. I haven't checked but I'm sure there's someone loading better than milsurp hardball defensive ammo. I would imagine Hornady or Cor Bon would have something good.

Professional educator here. I'd carry my G19 if they would let me. Would be willing to undergo whatever training would be needed. We have two SROs at my school so that is better than nothing.

An AR would probably be locked up in an office someplace. In the Arkansas school you all saw the sign for, they got pistols donated by Walther, so they all carry and train with those.

All of the school faculty should be fully trained and armed with a M249 SAW. Lets see how many school shootings we have then. I think someone would think long and hard about walking towards a school knowing there is a meat grinder in there waiting for them. :laser:

All of the school faculty should be fully trained and armed with a M249 SAW. Lets see how many school shootings we have then. I think someone would think long and hard about walking towards a school knowing there is a meat grinder in there waiting for them. :laser:
VS a PKM

Back
Top Bottom