• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Taurus and why do you all hate them.

To each his own, I guess. Glocks are simple, reliable, unromantic tools.

Pros; Superior, durable magazine design. Magazines are cheap, available everywhere. Gun is completely user serviceable with no special tools. Parts are cheap and available. Reliable. Simple manual of arms.

Cons; Second most ugly pistol (Hi-Point takes first place here). Boring and uninspiring (think Toyota Corolla), basically, it's an appliance. Trigger is what it is, not great but can be learned. Cost is way too high for what it is. No second strike capability. Less than ideal ergonomics.

FWIW, the most I've ever payed was $450 total, off of ODT, for a LNIB G17 with box and all the factory stuff, three mags and night sights. I think I payed too much. Like I said in another post, they're an excellent $350 pistol. Great for self defense. Not so great for showing to your friends. They won't be impressed...

i like they way they look,utilitarian,but beautiful

now if they were priced in the 300-400 range NIB like
intended that would be a different story i guess...

To each his own, I guess. Glocks are simple, reliable, unromantic tools.

Pros; Superior, durable magazine design. Magazines are cheap, available everywhere. Gun is completely user serviceable with no special tools. Parts are cheap and available. Reliable. Simple manual of arms.

Cons; Second most ugly pistol (Hi-Point takes first place here). Boring and uninspiring (think Toyota Corolla), basically, it's an appliance. Trigger is what it is, not great but can be learned. Cost is way too high for what it is. No second strike capability. Less than ideal ergonomics.

FWIW, the most I've ever payed was $450 total, off of ODT, for a LNIB G17 with box and all the factory stuff, three mags and night sights. I think I payed too much. Like I said in another post, they're an excellent $350 pistol. Great for self defense. Not so great for showing to your friends. They won't be impressed...
A well built 1911 or revolver is a work of art and a thing to behold. The Glock is an ugly soulless beast. It's the hammer in your tool box. It may be the best thing for the job but it's still a hammer.

A well built 1911 or revolver is a work of art and a thing to behold. The Glock is an ugly soulless beast. It's the hammer in your tool box. It may be the best thing for the job but it's still a hammer.
Pretty much. Sometimes though, ya just need a hammer. FWIW, I don't own any engraved, nickel plated hammers with Italian leather handles either.

OK say what you will about Glock but yet again here we are comparing a brand of gun, any gun, to Glock. There is a reason $3000 1911's are compared to Glock, and $300 Taurus are compared to Glock.

The simple truth is Glock has set a proven standard for so long it is expected of them to work. They do not innovate, but they remain the standard. Ergonomics don't matter that much when you're caught in the middle of a holdup, or being robbed, etc... Uh, neither does a slicker trigger pull. If a fight happens it will happen fast, so screw ergonomics. Give me something I can be fairly certain will work, and has decent accuracy, that requires nothing but pulling the trigger.

In reality, in a modern world, spur of the moment incident, a $500 Glock is as great of a gun as you could hope to be holding.

Are there other guns that are just as good in the same price range? Yes, I am certain of it, but they are not as proven. I must say, though, that most of the guns I trust as much as a Glock are not cheaper, for the most part.

Colt 1911s have a standard, Smith Colt Revolver have standard, AKs, ARs, ect... any item that becomes popular will be compared to each other. Doesnt mean its always better. I compare my Samsung Galaxy to new phones cause I think Iphones suck but at one time they were the standard. Glock was the standard. Walther + HK and now Sig took that from them. They are still banging the same thing. As noted a 1911 is like a Harley. People will buy it reguardless if its 80 year old technology. But IMHO a Glock is like a Yamaha and if they dont play the rice burner game, Honda and Suzuki will take the race.

Back
Top Bottom