• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Taurus Judge - won't cycle 410

The Highlander

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
81   0
Reaction score
My dad has a Taurus Judge (couple years old - the gun, not my dad!) and it will fire 45LC all day long with no issues. When he puts in 410 shot (or slugs) it might shoot one or two, but then it won't cycle to the next round. The brass of the next round seems to catch and won't let the gun cycle. We've tried shot and slug of several brands and same issue.

Any thoughts? Just go back to Taurus?

Is he using standard 410 shells made for shotguns. I had a friend try those and they would lock up the cylinder as the casing would stick out the other end after firing. If this is the issue then but some 410 loads made for handguns.

Is he using standard 410 shells made for shotguns. I had a friend try those and they would lock up the cylinder as the casing would stick out the other end after firing. If this is the issue then but some 410 loads made for handguns.
Never knew there was a difference! Can you get anywhere? Does it say "handgun" or something on the box? We were definitely just buying the regular shotgun stuff off the shelf. Thanks!

There is no difference in the length of the shotgun vs handgun shells. There is however 2 different 410 shell lengths, 2 1/2" and 3" I have had 2 different Judges and now a S&W Governor, all of mine were 2 1/2". I have shot several dozen rounds of regular old #8 shot shotgun shells, a dozen or so of the 000 buck, a few slugs out of all 3 of them.

If someone has had the shell sticking out the front of the cyc after firing, they were shooting 3" shells out of a 2 1/2" gun.

Again, there is NO difference in shotgun and handgun shell lengths. I have even reloaded some of the Winchester PDX1 black shells with bird shot on my MEC loader that is set up for my sporting clays loads.

I heard him say 2 1/2" several times. Never heard him say anything less than 2 1/2". I never heard him say anything about not being able to shoot regular ole 410 shells. And he even shot standard 410 shells out of it.

I am speaking from experience, I have shot several dozen Winchester AA #8 bird shot loads including my sporting clays reloads. I have shot em through 2 Judges and my current S&W Governor. Also shot a dozen or so Winchester 000 buck, and a few Remington slugs.

Like I said, if someone has the shell sticking out the front of the cyc after they are fired, they are shooting 3" shells out of a 2 1/2" chamber.

Back
Top Bottom