• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Taurus rumor mill

Should I buy a PT111 or slap some tist instead?

• Total voters
I own several Taurus firearms, I have only ever had an issue with one that I had to send in for repair and that was a PT140, the spring that holds the take down pin broke. They replaced and sent it back, no other issues.
607 7 shot 357 mag, 6.5" bbl and will shoot 1.5"-2" at 100 yards with a scope.
605 .357 mag
85 ultralite .38 spcl
PT101
941 .22mag
My brother has several and he has never had any issues either.

I also own a Hi-point 40 S&W and 45 ACP carbine. Don't care much for their handguns, they do look like bricks. The carbines are always flawless. I have several hundred rounds through the 40 and always flawless. Even shot 3" groups at 100 yards with it with iron sites.

Taurus are by no means high-end weapons, but they do work. I have had a Sig misfeed with cast boolits, grant it was the ammo, with standard jacketed ammo, it is always flawless. So even high-end guns can have issues with the wrong ammo.

Rosewood

If I owned or worked at a gun store and saw countless Taurus firearms coming back with catastrophic failures, I could not even carry the brand in good conscience. Taurus has been around since 1941. If their products were proven to be overwhelmingly defective and/or dangerous, I imagine that they would have gone out of business long ago. They have worked perfectly for me. I shoot them regularly, clean them and use factory ammunition. No complaints here.

Any idea what caused this? No way a factory 38 special could have generated enough pressure to do this. Or is that a .357? Just curious. Since the cylinder is still intact, it couldn't have been the cartridge though. Had to either be a barrel obstruction or maybe someone broke it with a hammer or some other type of mechanical damage.
Cylinder out of time. Bullet striked on the side of the barrel and blew the frame apart. Same thing on all the ones Ive seen.

Cylinder out of time. Bullet striked on the side of the barrel and blew the frame apart. Same thing on all the ones Ive seen.
Timing was off too much even for the forcing cone? That's bad. I wondered if that's what happened, but I am not a gunsmith.

So, let's summarize the tread so far. :)

1. ODT cannot stay on topic from the very beginning. Not a single comment about Taurus not doing the warranty work on G2.
2. Some folks fly into apoplectic rage at the bare mentioning of Taurus. They need to get their blood pressure checked and get their wills updated. I volunteer to be an executor for their estates.
3. Overall experience with G2 is good on ODT. I might get one, when funds allow and I can find it under for $200.
4. Gun store salesmen think they are a fountain of all knowledge.
5. Jeddak needs to wear body armor, athletic cup and a chastity belt to the next ODT M&G, he has a crowd of fans he did not know about.
6. Titty slapping, including mutual titty slapping, is popular in middle and south Georgia. Run if you hear the banjos.
7. Taurus makes pepper box revolvers.
8. If you own guns costing less than a stippled Glock on ODT, you do not care about your family.
9. Gun prices and gun quality follow a logarithmic scale. A marginal increase in gun cost results in guns 500x better quality. Somebody needs to update the LGS about this pricing structure.
10. No reason has been offered for abundance of $700, LNIB with 500 shots fired Glocks on ODT and dearth of $150 used with 500 shots fired PT111 G2s on ODT.

What did I miss?
You forgot a few things.
1) New ODT (Outdoors Trader) members don't know short hand LMAO! That means laugh my a$$ off for all you newbs... Newbs: gaming slang for newbie, new member, etc. No crediblility amongst your peers. Don't know how gaming terms got involved in a discussion of firearms, but I guess I still digressed less than most comments on this thread
2) No one on here can speel or use grammar good (not news to most of us but reiterated none the less)
3) We learned some yankee's what we really mean by 'bless your heart' and they in turn told us there version 'No disrespect but...' We even included pics of bless his heart for the south Ga followers, A+ for making sure everyone can follow along.

Question about the banjo's... Are we running towards them or away?...

My two cents, if you want a Taurus revolver buy a 357mag and only shoot regular 38spl rounds in it and not 357's or +P 38's. Then the 'pot metal' should still hold up a long while. For the money they aren't bad, as stated every gun manufacturer has had defective models, even the big guys we all love. Do what you feel is right and research this stuff on your own and ignore some of the BS. As far as the semi-auto's, I have no experience one way or the other. I did have a buddy's Taurus 38Spl revolver fail on him twice. The hammer snapped before he fired 100 rounds through it and then the cylinder release broke off before 500 rounds. So yes, IMHO Taurus has had some quality issues.

OP: Will Taurus still warranty the pistol you are looking at even though they are being sued over it and required by law to stop making them. They d*^% well better as there original paperwork from the factory has a lifetime gurantee. Does that mean they won't try to weasel their way out of it, maybe, maybe not. Lot's of large companies will try to not honor warranties on defective products or warranty issues. It's called trying to stay in business. Is it good business practice, not if you want customer loyalty. If it means keeping the doors open, then maybe. All depends on what kind of company values they have.

How many have you seen? Has this issue been tied to a particular model/caliber or common to several different Taurus models?

Thanks,

Rosewood

Back
Top Bottom