• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tax on Boat question....

Don't know if works for boats, but can go here if have VIN for regular veh to get very close estimate on tax due at time of tax ofc visit:
https://dor.georgia.gov/tavt-calculator
Oops sorry. Went back and read the posts closer. I think link I posted is for when ya buy a veh private sale and then go first time to tax ofc. Dont know this situation where getting taxed on something already owned. Agree with another post...simply call the local yokel tax ofc and ask

I throw mine in the trash.
Exactly what I do. They're going to charge what they want anyway so I'm not wasting my time. Never have, never will. Any county I have ever owned a boat in has always sent me a tax bill whether I send it in or not and it has always been their numbers they use and not mine. Dummies in McIntosh county send me a tax bill for zero because my boat is an older hull. Very efficient.

I bought my boat from the original owner, who purchased it in Sarasota, and moved it to Georgia. It has cost me just under $600 every year in Bartow County property taxes since I purchased the boat (used) in 2010. As in the darned taxable value has NOT gone down in 8 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The counties cruise the marinas and take note of the boats docked there. They walk the docks. That is how every know you have a boat docked in that county.

Also, they don’t charge tax under a certain amount. I have an old jet ski which they don’t charge me for anymore.

The counties cruise the marinas and take note of the boats docked there. They walk the docks. That is how every know you have a boat docked in that county.

Also, they don’t charge tax under a certain amount. I have an old jet ski which they don’t charge me for anymore.

I think the marinas give the county the info they need to allow us the privilege to pay the taxes. I doubt that they need to leave their office to extort money from us. If you ignore the tax bill in Bartow county they will file a fi fa without a court hearing and screw up your credit.

I got lucky. I live in Ga but my boat stays in a slip in Chattanooga so Ga cant tax me on it. Tennessee did not tax me either because it was an even trade.

Back
Top Bottom