• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tax stamp question

Why carry one? I paid it! I don’t recall it saying I had to carry

You're right, but I'd bet more than a few LEO don't know enough about NFA to call the branch and verify. They'd just as likely take you for a ride and figure out the details later. I personally have a set of copies available if only to avoid taking the ride.

Georgia Law flatly bans possession of NFA items, with an affirmative defense that you have properly registered these items with the federal government.

Therefore the burden is on you to provide proof of said registration and taxation.

If you don't have a copy of your form 1 or form 4 with you,
any law enforcement officer in Georgia can arrest U and take you to jail.
The charges on you will not be dropped until you produce evidence (your lawyer has a meeting with the DA's office) that shows you had taken advantage of that exception in the law for legally registered guns.

Did the feds say that you had to carry in original of your NFA registration and taxation document with you? Or even a copy? Well no, BUT...
that probably only means that you don't have to do it to keep legal under federal law.
But now I'm talking about Georgia law -- OCGA code sections 16- 11-122 through 16-11-125.

Why carry one? I paid it! I don’t recall it saying I had to carry
You're right, but I'd bet more than a few LEO don't know enough about NFA to call the branch and verify. They'd just as likely take you for a ride and figure out the details later. I personally have a set of copies available if only to avoid taking the ride.
This. Unfortunately state law enforcement doesnt always know the state laws they are enforcing. So you can bet they arent going to know federal laws regarding nfa items. I carry a digital copy. If a cop says I need more than that, then he can get his supervisor to show up on site and we can go from there.

Always took pics on my phone. I only had to show proof of ownership once and it was at Adventure Outdoors range.

Back
Top Bottom