• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tax Stamp wait time question ?

dakatl

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
96   0
Reaction score
So ..... Perhaps it makes a difference or not..... Maybe someone with credentials can chime in. I am not law enforcement. I DO have a current weapons carry license in GA.

I work in an industry that requires, and I have many times cleared, federal clearance for close contact with certain persons, ie; senators, congressmen, and even POTUS and VPOTUS as well as other international HOS.

Does any of this, in any way, help or hinder in wait time for NFA class III tax stamps ? ie; surpressors or SBR stamps ?

It shouldn't hinder you from from acquiring NFA tax stamps. Depending on what forms you submit, you will get a different timeframe from pending to approval. The background check is just that. I noticed in some threads that those who get "delays" on their background check are likely to run into the same issue but it is not a delay that last long. As long as you aren't a red flag you should be fine. Just expect anywhere from 4.5 months to 1 year. My first tax stamp was approved in 4.5 months. Probably the fastest I have seen yet. A buddy of mine did an SBR, took 7 months. They're processing faster now, I'd jump on in it before the system gets backlogged again.

Unfortunately clearances mean nothing and professional courtesy does not exist within the NFA branch. The way they do the background checks is just a NICS check like all dealers do for normal guns. The NICS system is basically just a database of prohibited persons / potentially prohibited persons. To my knowledge it does not provide any information regarding any type of credentials / clearances.

Unfortunately clearances mean nothing and professional courtesy does not exist within the NFA branch. The way they do the background checks is just a NICS check like all dealers do for normal guns. The NICS system is basically just a database of prohibited persons / potentially prohibited persons. To my knowledge it does not provide any information regarding any type of credentials / clearances.

This.
It's not the check that takes time, it's the queue that takes time.

Here is why: https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/data-statistics

Back
Top Bottom