• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Taxing unrealized gains as income?

Outlier

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
106   0
Reaction score
So I honestly completely dismissed this when I first heard about it but I came across something today that I had never heard of before. It was a Forbes article talking about constructive sales tax rules and it got me curious. After a little research it appears this has existed since 1997. I'm also vaguely aware of the property tax homeowners pay.

So I guess my question is is this what all the teeth gnashing is about? Tax codes that already exist for things that many people are just ignorant of? Or is this some sort of deceptive distraction for something more sinister? Am I missing anything?

Back in the 70s I got mail from a group for tax reform, what stiks in my mind was that a loaf of bread had over 40 separate taxes charges before it reached your table. I'm betting they managed a few others since then.

I put $1000 into Tesla. It goes to $2000. I would owe $400 in taxes. Now assuming I DIDNT SELL THOSE SHARES, where in the hell is that $400 supposed to come from?

Same for the value of your house. they have gone up in value recently. Do you have the free cash to triple your payments?

if this comes to fruition it will decimate property values and the stock market.

I put $1000 into Tesla. It goes to $2000. I would owe $400 in taxes. Now assuming I DIDNT SELL THOSE SHARES, where in the hell is that $400 supposed to come from?

Same for the value of your house. they have gone up in value recently. Do you have the free cash to triple your payments?

if this comes to fruition it will decimate property values and the stock market.
What happens when values decline?

Sent from my BV4900Pro using Tapatalk

I can write off $3000 in losses to off set gains. But that's a good question. I am taking the risk, I am tying up the money, I shouldn't be on the hook to pay taxes on my gains until they are realized. I don't think I should ever pay taxes on anything after I paid income tax to get the money, but that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom