• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Teaching a kid to shoot a bb gun.

VanillaGuerrilla

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
119   0
Reaction score
Obviously I hammer the safety fundamentals every time we shoot but... this youngin is right handed but left eye dominate. Should I try to change her eye or make her shoot south paw?

Obviously I hammer the safety fundamentals every time we shoot but... this youngin is right handed but left eye dominate. Should I try to change her eye or make her shoot south paw?
If you want her to learn to shoot with both eyes open and she would rather shoot right handed try getting her safety glasses and covering the left lens with masking tape. We have had pretty good success with this method.

Hickock45 is left eye dominant, but shoots right handed. Watch is videos closely and you will see it.

My wife is also right handed, but left eye dominant. She couldn't hit anything with a shotgun from her right shoulder. Switched to her left and she rarely misses now.

I'm left eye dominant, (right eye is weaker as well). I started shooting rifles from the left, just can't from the right. However, I shoot pistol right handed. Given I can't hit a darn thing either way, this may not be of much value.

I started both my boys and nephew on Daisy BB rifles with out scopes, then after a while .22 rifles then AR-15's, all 3 are Dead Shots. But, everyone is different in learning how to shoot good luck, as long as they learn the fundamental 's trigger control, sight-picture, breathing, etc they will be ok with your guidance.

I have the same problem with the bow. I’m left hand and eye dominant but my right arm is stronger. I shoot it right handed. With guns, I shoot left handed because I don’t need the draw strength. My advice is to let her try both sides and see what feels the most comfortable. I have to do this exercise for any new activity I try.

I had this issue growing up; my scout master couldn't figure out why I was such a **** shot with a rifle

figured it out, gave me two options. fire with my left hand, or wear an eye patch

I went with the eye patch until I trained myself to just go ahead and close my left eye. comes natural to me now but I'm still left eye dominant (I'm good with rifles but handguns, I'm ok, might be why, who knows)

Back
Top Bottom