• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Teaching a kid to shoot a bb gun.

Help them learn to shoot with what works for them. I am left eyed and shoot rifles and shotguns left handed and pistol right handed. If you force the child to shoot in an uncomfortable position it will not be fun for them and they will quit. We need all the young people we can get for the future.

Currently going through this now myself. Have always shot right handed and just closed my left eye, but started duck hunting this year and tried my hand at sporting clays and I suck at hitting a moving target. Have been practicing shouldering a shotgun lefty with both eyes open, but haven't gone out to actually shoot lefty yet. Not sure where this saga is going to leave me for scoped rifles or open sights rifles yet.

She won't if I don't cover it up. She kinda smashes her face down trying to use the left one. I don't know how she gets any type of sight picture worth a flip.

As was suggested by someone else, have her wear safety glasses with translucent tape over the left eye. Since she can't see out with her left eye, she'll be forced to use her right. Shooting right handed is usually better, since most rifles are made for right handed shooters.

However, if there is just too much opposition to using the right eye, have her shoot left handed. She'll never shoot well without a consistent cheek weld.

Good luck. I will be going through this myself with my own daughter in a few years, as she's right handed, but left eye dominant.

Obviously I hammer the safety fundamentals every time we shoot but... this youngin is right handed but left eye dominate. Should I try to change her eye or make her shoot south paw?

My son is right handed and left eye dominant. I taught him to shoot left handed and he has taken to it very well.

Back
Top Bottom