• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tell me about your dream shop.

78Bronco

Default rank <4500 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
116   0
Reaction score
We are having some construction stuff quoted around the house and part of that is going to include the start of a shop for me. This is a loooong time dream and I'm super excited. The plan is to extend an existing car port, so that the shop looks like it's part of the existing structure instead of building a whole new structure. Part of my reason for doing this is I already have power and a sub panel in the existing structure, so in the end I will not have to spend as much $ to get it wired up, and the other reason is I really like the idea of it looking like part of the house. Going to have to do this in phases to be able to afford it but this first phase will be a huge start. So, I have set the stage and now time for a little detail about what's going down.

Phase 1: Having a 24x30' slab blocked up and poured. Having a ramp poured to access the addition (yard is on a slight grade and will need a ramp to gain access). Extending the existing roofline over the new slab. So, at the end of phase 1 I will have a covered slab, open on all four sides, like a car port, that I will be able to start using.
Phase 2: Buy and install a lift on one side of the shop.
Phase 3: Close it all in.

So, before I start phase one I'm trying to think of everything I may want done so I can be sure to include provisions for that while pouring the slab. This is where the fun begins. Tell me what crazy and cool things you have seen or, if you have a shop, tell me what you wish you would have done looking back now. Some of the things I have thought about is having lights put in the floor on the side that will have the lift so that the underside of the vehicle will be lit up, stub out water for a shop sink, put in a channel drain (maybe in the middle of the slab) for ease of cleaning down the road, putting an attic type fan high up in the end wall of the addition to pull hot air out the shop. What ideas do you have?

Although it is a ways down the road, let's talk lift's. 2 post or 4 post, what would you chose and why? I'm leaning towards 2 just because it will leave the shop more open when not in use. Honestly, I really like the idea of the 2 post portable lifts so that I can move them out the way when not in use, but I can only find them up to 6,000lb max and I'm worried that will limit me on what I can do with it. For example, my 2004 GMC 2500 is almost 6000 lbs and I'm worried I may end up with a heavier truck in the future and then not be able to use the lift. Thoughts?

Thanks for the input gang, want to try and consider all options and make this as perfect as possible.

My dream basement
84526635.jpg

Paint booth off the side. Room for tire machine and serious welder. Protected large air compressor outside one wall. Lots of tool and parts storage. Overhead hoist, two ton min.

SHOP..................................
Well, it's on my bucket list.
I have 3.5 acres in the CITY OF SUWANEE and they have given me so much grief about building a shop, barn, garage, etc. They were limiting my size to 800 sq ft. B/S!. Other neighbors have big a$$ warehouse size shops but they are "grandfathered in". I do NOT live in a sub/d either. Darn City!!!!! The only way I found it would work is to build what looks like a house and have the entire "shop" on the 1st floor and a small 2nd floor studio apartment. $300,000 doesn't seem worth it to meet their strict rules, so the next property will have UNRESTRICTED LAND and OUTSIDE OF ANY CITY LIMITS.

------
REQUIREMENTS:
whatever size you think you'll need, double it. For me that would be 3600-6000 sq ft.
however many outlets you need, double them and include 220. At least 200 amp service!
shop air throughout
good wireless internet setup along w/TV's
Climate control is a must, at least part of the shop should have air conditioning (like office, bedroom, workroom, etc), heat (like waste oil burner) everywhere is required b/c nobody wants to work in 30 degree AM winter temps.
car lift or several
paint booth
Smaller 400-800 sq ft inside the big workshop that could have full HVAC, specialty tools, etc.
more doors and windows than you think you'll need
alarm and video
small office area
URINALS
full bathroom, realistically 1.5 bathrooms
small full kitchen
small bedroom (for when I don't wanna deal w/ the old lady)
OPTIONAL if funds permit:
concrete enclosure shooting range (for pistol). Say 8-10 feet wide and 60-100 foot depth. I had a small one in my basement of last house and it was awesome!
walk in vault/safe
underground bomb proof room/bunker
22 year old strippers - this may be a requirement, not sure yet.

Next house will definitely have (all or most) the above ^^
Heck, if i'm single by then, i'd just build a 3600-6000 sq ft shop and have a small 800 sq ft apartment on top or along side with a bedroom, bathroom and kitchen.

AS WITH MOST CIRCUMSTANCES, BIGGER IS BETTER.

Climate controlled
Lift
Multiple and plentiful air and power ports. Self winding/retractable is handy
Extra Tall ceilings and doors
The ability to hoist something really heavy by attaching to the rafters
Extra large sink
Toilet
Everybody has their own set of stuff that they are going to do. If you plan on painting a car, set up for a paint booth. Same thing as a forge, a welding setup or a machine shop. If you plan on building your own aircraft you’ll have a particular set of needs that are different than if you plan on woodworking. The common issues are comfortable useable space with appropriate lighting.

Everybody will need a sturdy horizontal table space and an organized way to store tools and equipment, good lighting and appropriate seating.

Wi-fi/stereo/tv has its utility and uses, but this is not a tv room. Having it means not having to go back to the house to get information.

Back
Top Bottom