• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Temperature for Cold Bore shot

Hard data is nice to have IF you can get it but sometimes its not possible for the average person to collect hard Data for every single situation, that's where the math formulas, data cards and apps come into play.

I know/worked with plenty of Snipers that use their apps first and place the confirmation info into their data book.

Everybody has their methods.

I use the apps to generate the solution I need, then confirm it ASAP. I'll oftentimes work out the data the "long" way, then verify it with an app, then lock it in with live-fire. I like to keep my skills up, in case I can't use the app.

I think we are on the same sheet of music. I like having backups to the backups just incase technology fails, or I accidentally put in a (20 degree down angle by mistake)

I do not want to sound condescending but there is an enormous amount of work required to put a rifle round in a 4" circle (my estimate of a deer heart) at 500 yd plus with the first shot from a hunting weight rifle on the first round fired.
An example difficulty level is the 600 yard high power rifle 10 ring is 12 inches and th x ring is 6 inches.
I have confidence in the opinion that if you have not put several hundred rounds of carefully hand loaded ammo through the rifle and shooting from a solid prepared prone position, any heart shot made on the first round beyond 500 yards will be mostly luck.

20161226_165347.jpg
I do. Hot, cold, windy, raining, you name it i try to get out there,,,, As a matter of fact the best group I've shot at 500 (yes with 3 witnesses) was on a miserable day with fog. Barley could make out the target

I know it is not smart to present a different opinion on long range shooting from the expert but I do not think that even an excellent hunter can expect to make a 600 yard shot into a 4 inch circle reliably on first shot.
I will qualify my answer with the fact that it is based on much more knowledge of hunters than of shooting loner range.
I only have a sliver of personal knowledge of shooting at 600 to 1000 yards.
I have a good working knowledge of hunters, many are great outdoorsmen but density altitude angle of fire and predicting steady wind and gusts are not usually keeping them up at night.

Maybe I am just trying to justify the fact that I cannot keep a 308 in the x ring at 600 with better equipment and preparation than any hunter is likely to have, on an exact known distance, wind from weather reports, range flags sevleral objects to watch mirage and a good background to watch the trace.
It may be easier than I am making it , but it seems very hard to me.

I should carefully read the post that I am replying to.
CMs post was about an ethical shot and an ethical shot is different from a reliable shot exactly into the heart.
My guess is that an ethical shot on a large deer is most of a 24" circle with even more area for wind drift.
That is definitely achievable by most hunters.
I was focusing on the shot to the heart.
I was wrong with my reply on differing opinion.

Who said you had to shoot them in the heart? Deer have pretty large lungs, a shoulder hit with a 300wm or 7mag would still make a clean kill at 500 easy.

Back
Top Bottom