• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Temperley safe?

The safe that weighs 650 pounds (it's actually 750, I found the specs) is junk, but the one that weighs 435 earns your recommendation? Why?

The Winchester is sheet steel, including the door, and from the ones I've seen, has big door gaps. At least that thing on Craigslist has a plate steel door and some thickness to the body. Can't know anything about the mechanicals from the available images, but it probably can't be built any cheaper than the Winny.
This is what I'm thinking.

i have a winny and like it, only cuz i couldn't afford a liberty at the time

I like the Winny as much as any gun locker.
Idk... I personally wouldn't buy it.

It's just really unusual, because no safe I've ever seen in that price range has a 1/4" plate steel door, a 3 gauge shell, and weighs 750 pounds. Cheap China steel? Probably, but seems there's plenty of it.

I'd love to pull the door backing off and see what the lock works looks like. Could be the kind of situation where an S&G dial lock and a couple of reinforcement tabs turn it into modestly robust box.

EDIT: It's 9/32" plate steel for the door, and 3 gauge = 1/4" for the body.

Hope somebody gets their hands on one of these and figures out why so cheap.

The ones the guy on Craigslist is selling are the first generation models and from talking with the guy they are 12g steel and from his understanding do not have a relocker, but he doesn't seem to have much understanding on the subject.

Back
Top Bottom