• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Test your stuff (4x4 content inside)

lilred06

Default rank <4000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
116   0
Reaction score
I tell people this all the time but having things doesn’t mean you’re good to go. Testing and evaluation is indescribably important. I used this as an excuse to do some wheeling the other day, but it’s good to know where my BOV stands and what it can and can’t handle.

Got it stuck like chuck and ended up phoning a friend to get it out. Steering is wonky now, but that’s another topic for another day (I think we yanked too hard). But better it get stuck now and I know what to avoid should the occasion rise that we have to boogey. Last thing I’d want is the situation we had yesterday with my family in the truck, in a dangerous and vulnerable position, using up precious energy un-stucking a vehicle. Some people generally get it, but most don’t understand that, especially offroad, a vehicle will act one way with just passengers and completely different with 1,000 lbs of cargo. The center of gravity will change, the power and throttle control it takes to climb a grade or an obstacle changes, coming DOWN obstacles changes with extra weight. I’m sure I’m preaching to the choir here, but had a fun day and learned some lessons I figured I’d pass along.

Overall it was a good day and I’m pretty sure I converted my “meh I just don’t need 4wd” buddy over to the dark and expensive side.

PS...Goodyear Duratracs aren’t very effective in Ga mud. No tires really are come to think of it, maybe swampers..

B3B3E23C-53B5-4506-BF4F-7469165F84B2.jpeg

64CC640E-9373-457B-953A-730F24F44FCC.jpeg

Brand of vehicle is good. Co-Op mudders are good off road tires. Keep it in 2 wheel drive most of the time and only use 4x4 to get out of those situations that 2 wheel drive get stuck in. Then you should be good, if you're already in 4x4 and get stuck, you're up a creek unless you have a winch. Keep in mind good off road tires don't make good street tires

I tell people this all the time but having things doesn’t mean you’re good to go. Testing and evaluation is indescribably important. I used this as an excuse to do some wheeling the other day, but it’s good to know where my BOV stands and what it can and can’t handle.

Got it stuck like chuck and ended up phoning a friend to get it out. Steering is wonky now, but that’s another topic for another day (I think we yanked too hard). But better it get stuck now and I know what to avoid should the occasion rise that we have to boogey. Last thing I’d want is the situation we had yesterday with my family in the truck, in a dangerous and vulnerable position, using up precious energy un-stucking a vehicle. Some people generally get it, but most don’t understand that, especially offroad, a vehicle will act one way with just passengers and completely different with 1,000 lbs of cargo. The center of gravity will change, the power and throttle control it takes to climb a grade or an obstacle changes, coming DOWN obstacles changes with extra weight. I’m sure I’m preaching to the choir here, but had a fun day and learned some lessons I figured I’d pass along.

Overall it was a good day and I’m pretty sure I converted my “meh I just don’t need 4wd” buddy over to the dark and expensive side.

PS...Goodyear Duratracs aren’t very effective in Ga mud. No tires really are come to think of it, maybe swampers..

View attachment 3618778
View attachment 3618779
Clean the mud from the back side of the wheels. And why don't you have a winch on or in the truck. Even a $20 come along with extra cable to reach the next tree. I also don't think you should bug out at all unless you most definitely have a prearranged location to go to.

Clean the mud from the back side of the wheels. And why don't you have a winch on or in the truck. Even a $20 come along with extra cable to reach the next tree. I also don't think you should bug out at all unless you most definitely have a prearranged location to go to.
It’s still a work in progress, I plan on a winch and some skids and sliders eventually. Yeah I don’t plan on bugging out, got nowhere to go and at that point as others have said you’re just a refugee. Editing to add: I also don’t condone this kind of driving in order to bug out. It sets a good benchmark for what you know your rig can and can’t do, but the whole idea behind BO is getting your family to safety, being stuck and burning calories and energy getting a vehicle out is not ideal. Avoid that at all costs if that occasion arises, stick to pavement as much as you can.

As for the mud, yeah we’ve all come down with the sickness so soon as I can I plan on cleaning all that out really well

No bugging out under marshall law.When they shut down gas,food,roads,banks,phone service,electric is when you find out how bad you really are.

If your duratracs didn’t work well in GA mud - I call user error. It’s the best tire I’ve used in nasty mud conditions that also has good road manners. But you do need to have enough power/torque to clear them out when they are full of mud.

Back
Top Bottom