• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Testing new loads ??'s

WakeSS

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
14   0
Reaction score
I loaded up some Montana Gold 115 gr HP 9mm on top of 7.5 gr of AA#7. The slide is not locking on the last round in my G17. Confirmed a load issue as factory rounds work fine is same mag/gun and repeated back and forth.

I am assuming I'm just getting a short cycle.

So do I just bump the charge a few grains to get acceptable performance?
Get a Chrono? (if so any recommendations?)

I'm in the middle of the safe charge range so I have room to play with (6.8-8.5 gr).

Thanks!

I'd bump it up to 7.7/7.8 and then do 10 or so at each additional .1 up to the max. You'll find what works the best. It is surprising to see what a little more powder does with some loads. You may find accuracy and/or reliability increase.

What I would do is make up 5 rounds each of 7.6, 7.7, 7.8, 7.9, 8.0. Load the first 5 of 7.6 in the mag, shoot the first round, check the primer for flatness, then if no signs of pressure on the first round rapid fire the last 4 to make sure that its going to cycle properly and then look at ALL the brass. If it doesnt lock back on the 5th round, go to the next charge weight, and try it.

If you find one that works then stick with it. but also take into account that your powder drop might not be throwing exactly whatever charge unless you are trickling each powder throw. So usually once you find one that works, keep going up usually .2 or .3 over what works, that way you know that if your dispenser doesnt throw exactly right and varies by a little that you are still going to have reliable ammo. BUT also keep checking for signs of pressure on your way up.

Awesome, thought I was going to have to go buy a Chrono.

I did 5 at 7.7 last night. I did'nt think about going ahead and making a bunch up with varying charges though.

Thanks guys!

lol. i have a bunch of "test" loads in the basement that I need to go shoot and see what works best. I take a box of 50 rounds, and usually load 5 up at the min load, 10 at the next level, 10 at the next level and so on, maybe 5 at or near max load. I usually do this more in rifles to see what's going to group best, but do it a little with handguns to at least give me some idea of accuracy once I get the function down. Sometimes I do the same with two or three different powders. its easy to get carried away when you have a press and a variety of powders to try.

I would go with this suggestion...that has worked for me in the past with new loads.

I'd bump it up to 7.7/7.8 and then do 10 or so at each additional .1 up to the max. You'll find what works the best. It is surprising to see what a little more powder does with some loads. You may find accuracy and/or reliability increase.

Back
Top Bottom