• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Texans got a good test or their prep or lack of.

Comanche

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
124   0
Reaction score
Geesh...I know of three families in Texas that were not prepared with any form of backup
power and got a wake up call from this storm.

My Daughters in laws are filthy rich but not very good at prepping.
They lost their power for days and had zero backups , zero heat and zero availablility to score even a portable generator.

I can remember talking to the in laws during my Daughters wedding about prepping and having back up power.
I knew the guy was loaded so I encouraged him to get a while house generator because when Texas gets a doozie of a storm everyone is screwed.
He told me he was gonna look into kit.
Never did.
My Daufhter is living with them while their Son is on a tour over seas.
They got hit hard by this storm and had to run their cars for heat for the baby.
No forms of heaters nor their fuels were available in any store.
I also know two more families down there in the same boat.

You’d think people would get it by now , especially the ones that can afford the best of the best.

I had no idea the power grid was so tenuous in TX. 23% wind generated power? Oh, and they weren't prepared for the cold. And they didn't winterize the backup plants?

Granted, who would have thought the temp would have dropped as low as it did...?

Having to boil water because the treatment plants lost power.

You can bet foreign powers are watching this.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all our brothers and sister in the area!

Geesh...I know of three families in Texas that were not prepared with any form of backup
power and got a wake up call from this storm.

My Daughters in laws are filthy rich but not very good at prepping.
They lost their power for days and had zero backups , zero heat and zero availablility to score even a portable generator.

I can remember talking to the in laws during my Daughters wedding about prepping and having back up power.
I knew the guy was loaded so I encouraged him to get a while house generator because when Texas gets a doozie of a storm everyone is screwed.
He told me he was gonna look into kit.
Never did.
My Daufhter is living with them while their Son is on a tour over seas.
They got hit hard by this storm and had to run their cars for heat for the baby.
No forms of heaters nor their fuels were available in any store.
I also know two more families down there in the same boat.

You’d think people would get it by now , especially the ones that can afford the best of the best.
Yep. Have family and friends out there. Some of my friends spent time in South Louisiana and were prepped with generators, but this surprised even them. Said it was like riding out Katrina.

I was surprised to learn that in the U.S., there is the East Grid, the West Grid, and the Texas Grid. Texas is mostly isolated, but can pull power from East grid and from Mexico's grid. Texas is so big that I don't think anyone conceived that a power emergency would cover the *entire* state!

Biggest issues were poor planning and winterization. Wind turbines work in the Dakotas in the winter, why not in Texas? Also, pipelines froze, preventing gas-fired generation facilities from coming online. How does that happen?

Everything will get fixed, then 20 years from now, corporate amnesia will occur and we'll see another disaster take place....

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

I lived there for a few years. Always had at least 3 ways to heat the house and 4 to cool it. They get swings like you wouldn’t believe. Easy to hit almost 110* in the summer snd that’s enough with a power outage or AC break to be life threatening if you’re a baby or sick. Always had central air and 2 window units, plus a generator to power them if the power was out.

debating adding a 4th way to heat the house here in Georgia for a once in 100 year storm

One of the cool things I do for Christmas gifts to my family and some friends is to prepare 5 gallon buckets of essentials. Typically, these include beans (pinto, navy and great northern), dried soup mix, rice, oatmeal (old fashion), grits, bic lighters, fire starters, extended burn candles, pound of coffee, kitchen matches ( vac sealed), heirloom seeds, .223, 9mm and .22lr ammo.
I've never had a complaint...

One of the cool things I do for Christmas gifts to my family and some friends is to prepare 5 gallon buckets of essentials. Typically, these include beans (pinto, navy and great northern), dried soup mix, rice, oatmeal (old fashion), grits, bic lighters, fire starters, extended burn candles, pound of coffee, kitchen matches ( vac sealed), heirloom seeds, .223, 9mm and .22lr ammo.

Sounds like there are no snowflakes on your gift list.

What the hell??I don't see any TP...Butt great Idea!

Back
Top Bottom