• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Text only

moosensquirrel

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
I have run into a couple of new traders that insist on text. I have read somewhere that by responding to a text message can allow malware to be installed that will silently collect personal information from your phone.

Is this so?

Text via SMS?

No - in itself, no ability to collect information whatsoever.

The risk lies in any web URLs that are provided in the text message. If you click on those, and you're on a smartphone or similar device, you'll go to a website, and then you're exposed to a lot more risk if you're directed to a malware or other kind of dubious site.

If you stick within the SMS app itself and don't launch any links, you'll be fine

Text if you will, but the ODT will not be able to help if you get screwed. Why start a bad habit that you maybe can't drop? Just my 2c and worth exactly what you paid for it. :yo:

That is a good point - what you are doing by texting them is giving them a direct route to identifying you personally.

If we only communicate via ODT, there's no way you can know I'm actually a dog.

If I give you my cellphone number, you can run a reverse phone lookup on that number relatively easy and find out you're dealing with a dog, and with a bit more effort, find out a lot about me.

Reactions: RSB
Nope. Don't do any texting or phone calls. I keep my cell number to myself. Unless it's someone I've dealt with before or a longtime ODT member.

Reverse lookup can allow them to drilll to your address. Don't want people coming to my house uninvited.

Back
Top Bottom