• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thanksgiving turkey.

Cooking actually SMOKING (2) 20# BIRDS ON THE XXL with pecan, cherry, and maple wood, with 3 sticks of cinnamon on the fire, about 12-14 hours, and cooking the dressing on the BGE, and it gives the dressing a great deep smoke flavor...also cooking a pecan, and deep dish caramel apple cinnamon pie...

smoker.jpeg

Thanksgiving is around the corner.
For years my former boss his would gather a lot of friends, customers and coworkers past and present and fry 30-40 turkeys. It was a high light of the year and a wonderful tradition. A few years ago he passed a way and has left us searching for turkey prep ideas.
I have considered baking, smoking, frying, air frying. I would have to buy a fryer grease or air. I would probably only use it once year.
How will you prepare your bird?
Malcom Reed just did a smoked stuffed sausage turkey recipe on his youtube channel the other day. Looked really good and easy. His channel is HowToBBQRight.

You can always pick up ideas from each other of what one may want to try in cooking/smoking the main quest at our table, TURKEY, BOSTON BUTT, RIBS, HAM, VENISON, always enjoy reading the posts to see how we can put a twist on preparing the food we want to come out as near perfect as we an prepare it. This year we are going to add thinly sliced, lemons, orange, and onion on the turkey breast to add a little zest to the taste of the meat. Slice the breasts, and we like about 3 slices for ourself and load the slices with FRANKS WING HOT SAUCE, for just a little jump in the flavor... We look forward to other ideas of preparing your favorite meat, fish, or fowl...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, enjoy your family, because life quickly goes by and well then they have left us with many great memories...

If you act fast, you can still reserve a smoked turkey at Fresh Air BBQ.

My family has done it for several years and it is rhe best turkey I have ever had.

I have a smoker and do great with pork and deer, but they do way better on turkey.

Oven roasted, fried, or over charcoal, I have tried it all, nothing compares to what these folks do.

Pulled out of the smoker a little bit ago. They will soon be destroyed by family. 12.5lb and 13lb birds.

9099BD95-9662-4AF9-93D5-C95C11CFC934.jpeg

I brine my for at least 24hrs prior to putting it in a 225 F smoker, cherry wood. I quarter large apples and stuff inside to keep the turkeys extra moist while smoking. I pull them out at 167-169f internal temp. Nothing will be left of them in a few hours.......

oh, and I’m using a 10 year old Smok’n Tex smoker.

Back
Top Bottom