• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Actual GWL Application

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
The Probate Courts in Georgia must use a state-standardized application for people applying for a Georgia Weapons Carry License (or to renew it).

Probate courts usually do not allow you to have any advance copies of that form (the 3-page application) nor is it available on their website, at least as far as I know. The probate courts will not allow you to take your cell phone camera in there and snap some pictures of the application form so that you can review the questions at home and know how to answer them before you come back and do it for real.

So, here's a PDF document of the GWL Application form, mandated for all Probate Courts to use (per Georgia code section 16-11- 129 (a)). This is from the Ga. Dep't of Public Safety.

https://dps.georgia.gov/documents/application-weapons-carry-license-wcl-application

Gwinnett was one that I tried to get a blank copy of, it was five years ago, I think. And they said no it's not allowed-- they said you can't see the form until you arrive here in person to fill it out. No you can't take it with you.

I'll bet in the last few years the Probate Court Judges Association told their members to publish it online.

Being an ex-PI, I learned many years ago that courthouse employees are sometimes notorious for telling you that something is not an open record, you can`t do this, you can`t do that. I stood my ground and called their bluff many times. However, I always had my info with me concerning what I had access to. I still have the booklet, but it is most likely out of date. As for probate, the ladies who worked there were the problem. Once I saw the Probate Judge, all went well. Paulding was a problem, for one. Cobb was ok. Believe it or not, the ladies at DeKalb were among the best and most helpful. Many times I insisted on seeing the "boss" at the problem courthouses. I have my own "stand your ground" rule.

The Probate Courts in Georgia must use a state-standardized application for people applying for a Georgia Weapons Carry License (or to renew it).

Probate courts usually do not allow you to have any advance copies of that form (the 3-page application) nor is it available on their website, at least as far as I know. The probate courts will not allow you to take your cell phone camera in there and snap some pictures of the application form so that you can review the questions at home and know how to answer them before you come back and do it for real.

So, here's a PDF document of the GWL Application form, mandated for all Probate Courts to use (per Georgia code section 16-11- 129 (a)). This is from the Ga. Dep't of Public Safety.

https://dps.georgia.gov/documents/application-weapons-carry-license-wcl-application
These have been on Henry county probate courts website for atleast 8 years...

Back
Top Bottom