• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Allen company promoting what ?

Wow, all those Olympic trap and skeet shooters must be wrong. You boys need to haul butt over to Tokyo in 2020 and square them guys and gals away! They obviously don't know what they're doing.

Yeah, because there are a lot of 100,000 target a year trap shooters missing toes.

Obviously full blown idiots.

They need to follow the example of someone who breaks out pappy's gun once a year for the big dove shoot.

I've been around guns and sport shooting a long, long time. Busted thousands of clays and missed several thousand more at ranges all around the country. I've never, ever, heard of somebody shooting themselves in the foot with an action-open shotgun that was resting on the top of their shoe. I suppose it's possible, but I'm not going to worry about it, any more than I worry about looking down the muzzle of my gun when it's disassembled on the cleaning table and I've just finished (I think) using a cleaning rod on the bore.

In the organized clay target shooting games, that is trap/skeet/sporting clays dating back about 125 years there have only been about a half dozen injuries on the line, and I think only one fatality.

One of the bigger sporting clays shoots will throw over 300,000 targets in a week. The Grand American will throw 400,000 + targets in a two week period. Many of the shooters are using the toe savers because a gun barrel will quickly wear out a pair of shoes especially the soft shoes favored by most people today.

So despite whatever pappy, grand pappy, Uncle Ed, and the boys at the club say, the data gathered over more than a century says it is a safe practice.

If you have never shot organized clays, you cannot begin to appreciate the amount of self policing that goes on.
I would wear a toe saver except I shoot a semi-auto with a 30" barrel, and it's too long to rest the barrel on my toe (and too heavy). So I rest the butt on my toe and point the barrel in the air, and try not to point it at my head because my pappy said don't do that.

When I shot trap and skeet I did this. My breech was always open. Sad to say it carried over to the dove field and took a while to correct .

cdn0.wideopenspaces.com_wp_content_uploads_2017_09_steel_toe_5_630x339.jpg

cdn0.wideopenspaces.com_wp_content_uploads_2017_02_16602880_38f07c602beb0585de4a2389d15bedb42a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom