• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Ballistic Facts Of Life - John Farnam

One of the issues in Afghanistan is that the ragheads are firing from 600 yards out with left over Soviet bolt actions rifles. M15/M4 are ineffective at that range.

These aren't natives running through the jungle with spears, they have been continuously at war since 1870 or so. They can build a working rifle by hand from scrap metal. Point is they know a little bit about long range riflery.

In Iraq, they love in concrete blck houses the 5.56 can't penetrate. Lots different than shooting through wood studs and drywall. This has been a major concern of troops.

I understand that, I also know what I've been taught for my entire life which is there is a tool for every job. There may be a cartridge that does everything, but either the tradeoff is weight, size or durability and then you possibly have a non readily available cartridge that will require time and adoption among other such concerns. The M4 was never meant for long distance, and the vast majority of conflicts aren't conducted that way. Targets behind/inside cover is an entirely different subject, and even then larger calibers may not always be adequate, hence the emphasis on CQB which, as it so happens, goes back to what the original story writer eluded to, it's all about the soldier and his training and not so much about the weapon. There is no magic bullet, pun intended.

6.8,etc...snip

The 6.8’s value is within the first 300m, and at that range and less the DoD has decided that having more available ammo in that package is it higher priority from what I gather. IIRC, there was a comparison between the 115gr 6.8 and 77gr 5.56 and the results showed the 5.56 had less drop, less drift, and retained enough velocity to fragment at extended ranges compared to the 6.8 which fell below the reliable threshold at around 225ish meters. A lot of work for little if any gains.

If you nix the 6.8 then you have to nix the 6.5 grendal. Both rounds are identical to the number out to 600 yards. I have a hard time believing the 5.56 has the edge over both those rounds.

Back
Top Bottom