• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The BEER thread...

Had a scotch ale today down at The Prado that had a hint of sour cherry. Pretty good for a fruit beer. Had I known it was a fruit I would not have ordered it. Even at 8.5% it was not boozy

Speaking of New Castle, it's now made in Holland. Thank you Heineken. Not the same as the stuff made in New Castle, I tried them side by side. Was one of my favorite beers, but will not buy it any longer. Fricking accountants!
Before my stepfather had to quit drinking he used to buy 30 packs of Bud and a 6 pack or two of New Castle Brown. I never liked Brown lager type beers and asked him why he did. Then he showed me where it was like 8 or 9% alcohol. So then I said " Now that Humble Pie tune 30 Days in the Hole makes more sense."
" New Castle Brown I'm telling you can sho' smack you down..."

Which one's first....I mean sec ..er, thir....next?
IMG_20180818_190917.jpg

Oh okay. I was thinking they m8ght have a Scotch flavor since Scotch has similar ingredients as in hops and barley.
Beer and scotch are both made from malted barley, yes.

It’s the way they dry the barley first, and then the distillation with Scotch whisky that gives it it’s signature flavor and higher alcohol.

With Scotch whisky they not always, but frequently, smoke the grains over a peat fire. That’s what makes it smell like iodine/band aid. Some people like that. The distillation is what turns it from beer to liquor.

Beer and scotch are both made from malted barley, yes.

It’s the way they dry the barley first, and then the distillation with Scotch whisky that gives it it’s signature flavor and higher alcohol.

With Scotch whisky they not always, but frequently, smoke the grains over a peat fire. That’s what makes it smell like iodine/band aid. Some people like that. The distillation is what turns it from beer to liquor.
Funny you should mention the Band Aid smell. I used to notice that a lot when I started out with Cutty and J&B in the mid 90s. I noticed that smell very much.
I've watched PBS and other documentaries on liquor and learned that the barley was spread out evenly on the floor of the distillery. Can't remember why but I suspect it was to ferment or even to get it to sprout. It's amazing how Scotch can taste so different from brands and regions. I always liked the blends like Chivas and JW Black. And then I got turned out on the single malts. A while back a friend of 9mm one from Macon came down here and we had drinks at Neptune Village on St Simons . We had a round of Laphroag single mait and I have to say it was unique and definitely an acquired taste.

Funny you should mention the Band Aid smell. I used to notice that a lot when I started out with Cutty and J&B in the mid 90s. I noticed that smell very much.
I've watched PBS and other documentaries on liquor and learned that the barley was spread out evenly on the floor of the distillery. Can't remember why but I suspect it was to ferment or even to get it to sprout. It's amazing how Scotch can taste so different from brands and regions. I always liked the blends like Chivas and JW Black. And then I got turned out on the single malts. A while back a friend of 9mm one from Macon came down here and we had drinks at Neptune Village on St Simons . We had a round of Laphroag single mait and I have to say it was unique and definitely an acquired taste.
Yeah man, Laphroaig is one of the crazy ones. My father was a physician, so that smell brings back bad memories for me. Whenever I had to visit his office it was to get splinters cut out, stitches, alcohol washes in the ear for swimmers ear, or something that was going to hurt.

I still can’t do that peaty stuff.

Back
Top Bottom