• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

THE BELT THREAD

This is what I find to be super useful and intuitive for me -

I prefer a two layer belt that consists of a Velcro inner belt you can thread through your pant loops and a molle outer belt for attaching the accessories to.

Here’s a few I’ve used and recommend:

Ronin tactics senshi

AWS operators belt

Ferro bison belt

As far as holsters go, I’d definitely check out g code, safariland, and my go to for kydex is ANR design but there’s a ton of other good makers too. I like the RTI or QLS interface that enables you to leave the attachment piece mounted on the belt, and let’s you swap different corresponding holsters to it. This allows you to run multiple different pistols on the same rig. This also helps if you run the same pistol with different weapon lights, etc.

Had a chance last week to check out that Ferro Bison belt. Man, those are nice!! $215 is bit pricey though.

I'll get pics later, but this is what I have set up. What I have not figured out where to place is a radio.

Blue Alpha double belt.
2 esstac kywi AR pouches
2 esstac kywi pistol pouches
BFG ifak
Trex dump pouch
Safariland mid drop with qls fork
Gerber, forget which model
Cloud MCH

I'll get pics later, but this is what I have set up. What I have not figured out where to place is a radio.

Blue Alpha double belt.
2 esstac kywi AR pouches
BFG ifak
Trex dump pouch
Cloud MCH
How do you like those kywi pouches?
I'm considering a set of mid height ar mag pouches, so I could use them to hold a 6rd Esstac shotgun card as well.

Excellent post. There will be some varying individual needs but a general idea of basics will be very helpful for anyone.

I'm a Federal Contractor and every few months there's some new fangled gear the USMS want us to use. So kits can become cluttered very easily. I served 4 tours in the Marines and we were always loaded down with everything possible for when SHTF. When I got out and built my own setup, I had the same mentality. I quickly learned that is NOT always the answer. Run through likely scenarios, assess your needs, make a plan and build your kit around that. And your vehicle(s) are great for having equipment that you don't necessarily need to carry on your person.

So here's a few basics I believe everyone should have:

1. Plate carrier or ballistic vest (side note: ballistic backpack panels are also great for kids.)

2. Sturdy, rigid belt with adequate mag pouches, holster, and flashlight,

3. Go-bag with supplies (Spare mags, flashlight, water source, IV hydration powder, snacks with nutrients. I recommend having a small cleaning kit with steel rods.) Toss it in your vehicle and leave it.

4. Rifle and/ or Pistol + ammo for both. Both should have weapon mounted lights.

5. Med bag (minimums)
  • Saline wash or antiseptic wash
  • Nitrile gloves
  • Burn dressing
  • Combat (hemostatic) gauze
  • Ibuprofen
  • Israeli bandages
  • Tourniquet & permanent marker (I recommend at least 2)
  • Pressure dressing
  • Trauma shears
  • Vented chest seal
  • Saline wash
6. Ifak (minimums)
  • Nitrile gloves
  • Combat (hemostatic) gauze (Quik-clot gauze works well)
  • Tourniquet & permanent marker
  • Trauma shears
  • Vented chest seal
7. Flashlight with backup batteries. (I recommend having 2 in different places, such as the glove box and one in a medical kit. If your batteries die, you're out of luck so Solar rechargeable lights are also a great idea.)

8. Comms - cellphones are primary, but have a back up. All phones, even without an active plan, can still call 911. Charge an old phone and throw it in your vehicle. Having a set of walkie talkies are handy if cell service goes down. You can use emergency channels. And if you have to leave someone to go for help, you can communicate with them. Having a battery bank in your Go-bag or vehicle is great too. Just in case your vehicle dies, you still have juice for your phone.

9. Pin flares/ flare gun, and road flares - great for signaling and also starting fires. What's the easiest way to be found? Start a big a** fire! lol.

These are my recommendations based on my personal experience and careers.
Thanks dude! With everything new coming out prioritizing the ability to scale up and down, I’ve been trying to approach gear setup like backpacking clothes.

Having the ability to shed/add layers as needed but not carrying around a ton of extra weight you don’t need.

Solid info! If enough people were interested I was going to start similar threads for rifles, plate carriers, etc. I just figured everyone here probably carry’s a pistol in some form or fashion so a belt is essential!

Blue Alpha double belt.
2 esstac kywi AR pouches
BFG ifak
Trex dump pouch
Cloud MCH
Same on the radio. I’ve been struggling to try to figure out a good civilian comms setup In general. I think I’m going to try an expander wing on my plate carrier that sits inside my cummerbund. I hate how far the radio hangs off on outer pouches.

Same on the radio. I’ve been struggling to try to figure out a good civilian comms setup In general. I think I’m going to try an expander wing on my plate carrier that sits inside my cummerbund. I hate how far the radio hangs off on outer pouches.

Yeah, civy comms are very basic and there's no securing them. The best I've come up with is running GMRS radios with RCS/ DCS codes or SQL code for some sort of privacy. When my team uses comms, we switch preset channels every hour so if anyone is listening they won't for long. I wish there was a way to encrypt civy radios.

As for radio placement, I either have it:
1. Mounted with a back panel setup
(or)
2. Inside one of my mag pouches on front of my plate carrier

If you come up with any better options, please share.

Back
Top Bottom