• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

THE BELT THREAD

Burning Love

Default rank <5000 posts Supporter
tat-man
93   0
Reaction score
There have been other threads similar to this, but I’m making this with the intent of it becoming a long lasting thread people can reference. I’ve seen and talked to endless amounts of people who set up their gear based on another persons kit. This is to encourage everyone to set their gear up based on your own needs and comfort.

Please:
-Post pictures of your setup
-Ask questions
-Let people know why you set things up the way you have, or your theory behind the practical application of your gear.
-Do not outwardly flame people OR get defensive. Feel free to critique and help each other.

This is NOT the thread to post a picture of your gear and have everyone give you a thumbs up and move on. This is to open yourself up to questions, critiques, and theory behind using your equipment for its intended application.

Everyone has different needs and gear. Competition shooters, mil shooters, and armed citizens all have different needs but they can also influence and help each other.

This thread is intended to hopefully help you and others to get ideas, to trial and error, and to brainstorm how to set your gear up tailor made for YOU. It can also be a good place to find recommendations for any issues you run into or holes you would like to plug in your gear. I will most likely start more of these for other topics if people are interested, but this seemed like a good starting point.

POST AWAY

Fighting/training belt:
A3550D6A-870F-4441-A743-CA5EA44608A8.jpeg

Gloves, esstac kywi, micro trauma kit, micro dump pouch, holster and knife with retention.

Bump in the night belt:
317ACF8C-AFC5-4401-8BF5-B6ABF90CE8AF.jpeg

Same basic setup but geared more towards an “oh **** I’m naked but I might be in a gunfight.” Some of ya’ll might see it as excessive, but living in Atlanta and hearing the after action of multiple people who have been the victims of home invasions, I think it’s appropriate.

This belt has a padded insert so I can throw it on in the birthday suit. I tried to keep it as close to my training belt as possible so muscle memory is still there, but I replaced the second pistol mag with a handheld light, and ditched the drop leg. It’s also sized a bit different to compensate for no pants :cool: the knife is a place holder as I much prefer something up front I can access with both hands. I’ll probably replace it with another Tourniquet and a GP pouch for my cell phone soon.

And just for good measure… EDC belt:
EDD7A8B5-95D9-4BE9-BF6A-BB7E2697A999.jpeg

I need a new belt, but I like a leather belt. I forget the brand but it’s a sturdy leather gun belt I’ve had for years. Basic IWB holster, extra mag, and a knife I can easily access with either hand. This is as much as I like to carry on my normal belt to avoid looking like Batman.

I have been looking at setting up a gear belt, but really don't know what components are the best.
What is your intended use? What guns are you running, and what tools do you want to prioritize having on your person? I’ll try to help you out and hopefully others will jump in as well!

This is what I find to be super useful and intuitive for me -

I prefer a two layer belt that consists of a Velcro inner belt you can thread through your pant loops and a molle outer belt for attaching the accessories to.

Here’s a few I’ve used and recommend:

Ronin tactics senshi

AWS operators belt

Ferro bison belt

As far as holsters go, I’d definitely check out g code, safariland, and my go to for kydex is ANR design but there’s a ton of other good makers too. I like the RTI or QLS interface that enables you to leave the attachment piece mounted on the belt, and let’s you swap different corresponding holsters to it. This allows you to run multiple different pistols on the same rig. This also helps if you run the same pistol with different weapon lights, etc.

The rig is modular. The only thing that stays the same from use to use is the belt (inner and outer), the Safariland holster platform and the Rolly Polly. Everything else easily removes and attaches. The holsters snap into a plate on the rig.......they're the easiest part of the entire system to switch out.

I’m using a Spiritus carrier with Hesco L210-SH-SC-L plates in it. If I need more than 3 Carbine mags (1 in the weapon, 2 on the belt), I have a carrier that fastens to the front of my carrier and holds an additional 3 magazines.

1a: Jones Tactical outer belt, with Cobra buckle

1b: Jones Tactical inner belt

2: Maxpedition Rolly Polly, large. I tried the medium, but found it sometimes difficult to get a mag in there while shootin' n' scootin'. Also, as an Instructor, I'm always sticking stuff in there like PACT timers, courses of fire and other gear.

3: Safariland 6004-25 holster platform using the QLS (Quick Locking System) plate. This allows just about any Safariland holster to be mounted to this rig. I've always hated "drop leg" holsters, but this one drops just far enough to get below vests and/or armor, but it's still mounted on the hip, not the leg. Super stable and secure, yet very quick.

4a: Safariland 6377 holster with QLS attachment, Beretta 92

4b: Safariland 6377 holster with QLS attachment, SIG P229

4c: Safariland 6377 holster with QLS attachment, Gov't model 1911

*old pic, I’m no longer running the SIG or Beretta. Now it’s a Gen5 G34 with Surefire X300U.

5: Safariland kydex Teklok pouches, AR15

6: Blade Tech Teklok pouches, AK

7: Ready Tactical kydex mag pouches, Beretta 92

8: Talon Tactical kydex mag pouches, 1911

9: Ready Tactical kydex mag pouches, SIG P229

10: California Competition works shotshell caddy

11: Safariland SxS shotshell holder. I usually put shotshells in the California CompWorks caddies and slugs in the SxS's.

417B55C8-04E7-47B5-B437-F821FF2FBAD2.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom