• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

THE BELT THREAD

So here’s my belt set up. More or less shtf type of thing for me. Ronin belt with a Velcro belt that’s not pictured. Esstac mag carriers. Gloves. Med pouch that I’d like to switch to something more compact but this works for the time being. Has extra space in it but would prefer a smaller one. 01tool steel knife I made. G code holster for a g19 rti hanger. Like the leg strap it makes this feel more secure on the move and for drawing. Less movement. Then a p35 flashlight which has the same 18650 battery that other lights I have run off of. I don’t know much about what would be ideal but that really depends on your situation. So that’s my set up. I wear 28w so this belt is a bit crowded. Keep em coming! Also if anyone would like to suggest a compact med bag that would be cool.
I'm glad to know I ain't the only one with no tactical real estate. At a 28 or 30w, you gotta prioritize!

Look at parts 10 and 11 in my post on page 1. Shotshell holders for your belt.

I like the Velcro sidesaddles from Esstac. Additional fully loaded sidesaddles will fit in an AR mag pouch on your carrier. When the one on your gun runs empty, rip it off and replace it.
Are the caddys and Esstac cards something y'all carry at True Prep? I'd rather buy from folks around town, than online. I need to get up there and check it out anyway.

My duty/EDC/CCW rig.

Belt is an Aegis Enhanced by Ares Gear.

Double mag pouch / light pouch is Blackpoint Tactical. I have a second one that only has a single mag pouch, plus the light pouch. I planned on using the double for on-duty, and the single for off-duty, but I just don’t notice the difference between the two, so I tend to use the double all the time.

DeSantis handcuff case. I don’t wear it off-duty.

Blackpoint Tactical Leather Wing holster for a G19 with TLR-7A.

Everything else I carry in my pockets.

0E3A01E4-3ABE-4836-9F65-E54BB1132E48.jpeg

My duty/EDC/CCW rig.

Belt is an Aegis Enhanced by Ares Gear.

Double mag pouch / light pouch is Blackpoint Tactical. I have a second one that only has a single mag pouch, plus the light pouch. I planned on using the double for on-duty, and the single for off-duty, but I just don’t notice the difference between the two, so I tend to use the double all the time.

DeSantis handcuff case. I don’t wear it off-duty.

Blackpoint Tactical Leather Wing holster for a G19 with TLR-7A.

Everything else I carry in my pockets.

View attachment 4066033
Why a handheld light rather than a WML?

Why a handheld light rather than a WML?

I have both. I oftentimes need a light for things I don’t want to point a weapon at.

Also, I subscribe to the Rule of Two’s; 1 equals zero, 2 equals 1, 3 equals 2, etc. If my WML goes down, I have a backup light source I can still ID and engage with.

There have been other threads similar to this, but I’m making this with the intent of it becoming a long lasting thread people can reference. I’ve seen and talked to endless amounts of people who set up their gear based on another persons kit. This is to encourage everyone to set their gear up based on your own needs and comfort.

Please:
-Post pictures of your setup
-Ask questions
-Let people know why you set things up the way you have, or your theory behind the practical application of your gear.
-Do not outwardly flame people OR get defensive. Feel free to critique and help each other.

This is NOT the thread to post a picture of your gear and have everyone give you a thumbs up and move on. This is to open yourself up to questions, critiques, and theory behind using your equipment for its intended application.

Everyone has different needs and gear. Competition shooters, mil shooters, and armed citizens all have different needs but they can also influence and help each other.

This thread is intended to hopefully help you and others to get ideas, to trial and error, and to brainstorm how to set your gear up tailor made for YOU. It can also be a good place to find recommendations for any issues you run into or holes you would like to plug in your gear. I will most likely start more of these for other topics if people are interested, but this seemed like a good starting point.

POST AWAY

Excellent post. There will be some varying individual needs but a general idea of basics will be very helpful for anyone.

I'm a Federal Contractor and every few months there's some new fangled gear the USMS want us to use. So kits can become cluttered very easily. I served 4 tours in the Marines and we were always loaded down with everything possible for when SHTF. When I got out and built my own setup, I had the same mentality. I quickly learned that is NOT always the answer. Run through likely scenarios, assess your needs, make a plan and build your kit around that. And your vehicle(s) are great for having equipment that you don't necessarily need to carry on your person.

So here's a few basics I believe everyone should have:

1. Plate carrier or ballistic vest (side note: ballistic backpack panels are also great for kids.)

2. Sturdy, rigid belt with adequate mag pouches, holster, and flashlight,

3. Go-bag with supplies (Spare mags, flashlight, water source, IV hydration powder, snacks with nutrients. I recommend having a small cleaning kit with steel rods.) Toss it in your vehicle and leave it.

4. Rifle and/ or Pistol + ammo for both. Both should have weapon mounted lights.

5. Med bag (minimums)
  • Saline wash or antiseptic wash
  • Nitrile gloves
  • Burn dressing
  • Combat (hemostatic) gauze
  • Ibuprofen
  • Israeli bandages
  • Tourniquet & permanent marker (I recommend at least 2)
  • Pressure dressing
  • Trauma shears
  • Vented chest seal
  • Saline wash
6. Ifak (minimums)
  • Nitrile gloves
  • Combat (hemostatic) gauze (Quik-clot gauze works well)
  • Tourniquet & permanent marker
  • Trauma shears
  • Vented chest seal
7. Flashlight with backup batteries. (I recommend having 2 in different places, such as the glove box and one in a medical kit. If your batteries die, you're out of luck so Solar rechargeable lights are also a great idea.)

8. Comms - cellphones are primary, but have a back up. All phones, even without an active plan, can still call 911. Charge an old phone and throw it in your vehicle. Having a set of walkie talkies are handy if cell service goes down. You can use emergency channels. And if you have to leave someone to go for help, you can communicate with them. Having a battery bank in your Go-bag or vehicle is great too. Just in case your vehicle dies, you still have juice for your phone.

9. Pin flares/ flare gun, and road flares - great for signaling and also starting fires. What's the easiest way to be found? Start a big a** fire! lol.

These are my recommendations based on my personal experience and careers.

I’ve been running a Condor LCS belt for a few years and it’s solid, but just got this PETAC belt to test out. A buddy that’s a Rigger vouched for it and I’m all about spending money on more gear, lol.

Inner belt/ Outer belt
2 pistol mag pouches w/ BladeTech mount
2 rifle mag pouches w/ BladeTech mount
Orpaz Level 2 Pistol holster w/ BladeTech mount
Ifak + Tourniquet (on the back)
Retention strap + Carabiner
Dump pouch

*I like BladeTech mounts because they are very secure. I chose the Orpaz holster because it's adjustable and has 2 levels of retention. The retention strap is for slinging my rifle and keeping it secured when needing to work with my hands; also doubles as a drag strap if need be. The Dump pouch is for quickly dropping in empty mags and other items.

*I don't have pics right now but my vest has everything else. Comms, Atak case, flashlight, knife, OC foam, smoke grenades (don’t ask, lol). And my vehicle has everything else I listed in my last comment.

D2810194-01D5-4B17-810A-12F6AD0078DF.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom