• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shotgun Surgery

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
60   0
Reaction score
Look at the boomers with their 45 AARP guns. Point and laugh at them. Insert modern bullet technology here.

Be me, two months ago

Hear that Federal 9mm 147gr HST is where it's at

Looking up how well they expand in ballistics gel

0.6"

nice

Recommended video on the side shows 230 grains of AARP Federal HST

Wonders how big a hole that pokes

Click on video and fast forwards

0.9"

0.9"

0.9"

Woah.

Knows that area of circle is radius squared times pi

Math

Twice as big

Twice as big

Twice as big

Pulls out live 45 AARP round I had found one day at an outdoor shooting range

Compares to live 9mm round I bought

Biggur

Stops and thinks.

Place shot correctly, doesn't matter. 22lr? 9mm? AARP? Doesn't matter.

Hit shot, but not place correctly, doesn't matter. 22lr? 9mm? AARP? Doesn't matter.

Same performance then, right?

Twice as big.

Stop and think more

Epiphany

Twice as big, twice as likely to place shot correctly

It explains everything.

Shot placement what truly matters? True.

45 AARP better than 9mm loser? Also true.

If shot placement is what matters then therefore the size of the hole being poked matters

A sinking feeling of doom creeps into my very soul

The boomers were right...

Oh no...

Needless to say, I'm now in the process of replacing my 9mm "gun" with a pistol chambered for 45 AARP. I ended up buying an HK USP and the recoil is fine even on my noodle-millenial wrists. HK USP 45.jpg

Excellent write up. I was entranced the entire time. I now feel week staring at my Glock 19. It feels so... small and useless. But the problem is, every time I look at the fer sail ads, all I see is 9mm guns. Nobody wants to sail their .45 boomer guns. And don't get me started on my .40. Nobody even wants that when I offer it.

Well, when you're comparing rounds at basically the same velocity, sure.

Not sure who thought 147gr 9mm was "the best". Without knowing the numbers, I think you'd find something in a 124gr +P loading might narrow the gap or even eliminate it based on the increased velocity
It doesn't make them any bigger. Comparing the faster rate of accurate fire from the lower recoil of a 9mm loser to the larger hole'ness of a 45 AARP, the 45 is larger than the 9mm is faster to shoot.

If we are talking about decent size guns and an apples to apples comparison of good hollow points and competent shooters who can handle the recoil of either chambering, then I can't currently justify choosing 9mm over 45 auto other than by the price of ammo. Functionally, 45 seems superior.

It doesn't make them any bigger. Comparing the faster rate of accurate fire from the lower recoil of a 9mm loser to the larger hole'ness of a 45 AARP, the 45 is larger than the 9mm is faster to shoot.

If we are talking about decent size guns and an apples to apples comparison of good hollow points and competent shooters who can handle the recoil of either chambering, then I can't currently justify choosing 9mm over 45 auto other than by the price of ammo. Functionally, 45 seems superior.

You're not wrong, but on the other hand, there's still the issue of penetration and a bunch of other issues that make the overall comparison less cut and dried.

One thing's sure, I don't know anyone who's going to say "oh yeah! well placed shot, just to the left of my sternum! Bring it on!" for EITHER caliber.

9 mm is just to "snappy" which leads to inherent inaccuracy, Not to mention the ballistical challenges that go along with such a small round. This impacts the accuracy and the second shot follow up ability to the point that it's almost useless in a protracted gun fight. A better choice would be the .380 ACP which inherits it's fight stopping ability from the superior .45 ACP. Until the .380 ACP and .45 ACP are blended ballistically into the 9 mm ACP then you are limiting yourself by deploying 9mm in a weapon that you trust your life with. Germany made that mistake in the '40's and look how that turned out for them.

Back
Top Bottom