• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

THE BOX IS WHAT MAKES IT A DEAL

I look it like this.

If it had box, docs, and lock then the weapon is generally (not always) has been taken care of, is pretty good condition and hasn't been shot out.

People that hang onto that stuff don't generally abuse their weapons.

Nothing worse than getting saddled with a gun that's been rode hard and put away wet.

Call me weird, but if it's something like a Glock, or Springfield XD that comes with the hard shell case, extra factory mags, and holster, I'm more likely to buy it than if it's just a gun and mag and no box. I always think it's shady when a Glock or Springfield is missing the case/accessories.

Now a gun that comes in a cardboard box? No thanks not worried about that.

I don’t care anything about a box or docs or the lock for a modern working gun.
But for a collectors item, I think it’s legitimate that the original box & the paperwork that came with it (especially a store receipt) makes it more interesting to me and more valuable to anybody.

Even without a box or docs, if I were buying an old collectible (or potentially collectible) gun from somebody that was the original purchaser or knew the original purchaser, I would really like them to tell me the history about it and if possible have the original purchaser write a note / letter of provinance saying when he bought the gun, how much he paid, and some of the things he used it for over the years.

A good example of the kind of gun that would benefit from such a letter of provenance is a World War II bring-back from a veteran who served during the War and brought a captured (or purchased, perhaps a civilian model of gun) firearm back to the United States, but has since lost all the paperwork from the military associated with that weapon’s import.
If the old veteran is still alive and he could write a letter and sign it and date it, recounting the gun’s history, that would be great. If he’s not around anymore, but his adult children remember the story about how this gun came to the United States and they’re quite familiar with that gun being their father’s since as long as they can remember, one of those adult children could write a letter.

Back
Top Bottom