• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Clothes Line

Had a wheel on a tree way out in the yard and a wheel on the wall right by the door on the porch. Pin up item and wheel out, pin up item and wheel out. Repeat till line was full. Never had a clothes dryer. Never. Have one now, but until 18 never had one. In the winter when the snow was 4 ft deep we had a little wooden rack and would put it next to the wood burning stove. The clothes would get dry in a quick! They would be stiff as a board and also the towels were like 80 grit.

My mother had "stretchers" for our jeans. Consequence of the Roy Rodgers show.

These were expandable wire frames that went in the legs of your blue jeans to give them that all important crease. I cringe now to think of all the hours my mother put in putting those things in and taking them out just so we could meet the fashion demands of a 10 year old.

Of course she used to iron all of our shirts and undershirts. And the sheets. With rice water starch*.

I mentioned to my significant other once how wonderful sunshine dried and iron sheets felt and smelt. Her response would show up as a string of asterisks.

*Look it up, but rice water starch is like the finest starch you can use on clothes -the reason Chinese laundries became the standard for fine laundry.

I'm still using Bubbado52 Bubbado52 s guide. (Had just put my clothes line up when he posted it.) Violate a few of the rules but enjoy hanging clothes to the sounds of the birds and under the watchful eye of my big old Tuxedo cat. We have lots of birds, thank the lord. More labor than a dryer but I figure saves money and electricity. Good excuse anyway. 20200328_115110.jpg

I was a child of the '70's energy crisis growing up.

I came home from school one day and found a big box labeled "Solar Clothes Dryer" that my dad had ordered. I got so excited! I thought there would be solar panels to mount on the roof, all manner of wires etc...

Turns out it was something like this...

www.clotheslines.com_Shared_images_product_First_Lady_Rotary_O14bf62e66fa2ff76bd189cfee0b17202.jpg

Needless to say I was pretty disappointed...
BwaHaHa! Sounds like a Ron Popeil (Ronco) marketing tag.

That's the truth. I laugh thinking about it, but it hurt like hell. That's where the "rasslin" maneuver came from.
Lol...I been reading through this thread waiting to post my comment...yes your right...playing hide and seek in the dark at maw maws house with all the cousins...I got found and started running for the base and forgot about her clothesline. .. it caught me right in the chin and cut me a flip... chipped my youth and I think it knocked me out for about a second or so... oh how I loved those good OL times

Back
Top Bottom