• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Clothes Line

Lol...I been reading through this thread waiting to post my comment...yes your right...playing hide and seek in the dark at maw maws house with all the cousins...I got found and started running for the base and forgot about her clothesline. .. it caught me right in the chin and cut me a flip... chipped my youth and I think it knocked me out for about a second or so... oh how I loved those good OL times

I did something similar except it was a short wire fence. Hit it at full tilt in the dark and the world went upside down. Luckily I was able to get up and continue running...

My mother had "stretchers" for our jeans. Consequence of the Roy Rodgers show.

These were expandable wire frames that went in the legs of your blue jeans to give them that all important crease. I cringe now to think of all the hours my mother put in putting those things in and taking them out just so we could meet the fashion demands of a 10 year old.

Of course she used to iron all of our shirts and undershirts. And the sheets. With rice water starch*.

I mentioned to my significant other once how wonderful sunshine dried and iron sheets felt and smelt. Her response would show up as a string of asterisks.

*Look it up, but rice water starch is like the finest starch you can use on clothes -the reason Chinese laundries became the standard for fine laundry.

I remember my grandmother starching my Levis and using those stretchers. You could stand them up on their own after they dried. Was the style then, had to have straight seams. Rubbed my crotch raw.

I remember my grandmother starching my Levis and using those stretchers. You could stand them up on their own after they dried.
My momma used those on my dad's uniform pants. Could not show up on base without crisp seam. Not that he would have ever even thought of doing so.
Yes sir, you could stand those bad boys right up. I wondered how he could bend his legs to get into the car. :becky:

I remember my grandmother starching my Levis and using those stretchers. You could stand them up on their own after they dried. Was the style then, had to have straight seams. Rubbed my crotch raw.

Roy Rogers influence. if Roy wore them that way, then that was the way to wear them. High cuffs too.

Back
Top Bottom