• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Cost of Zero

If it is for hunting, it is not even worth thinking about. I have used the same box of shells over the course of 3-4 years and 15 out of 20 shots were kills. The other 5 were used for sighting in before each season. The percentage of kills would be 18-2 if I wanted to fill my tags.

Bullets are one of the least expensive things about hunting.
My point exactly. We are not different. In Artillery I found that Kentucky windage is prevalent, And sometimes Science has to take the back seat to Art. Never give up trying to extract more accuracy out of your weapon system. Sorry went down the road of sentiment.

My point exactly. We are not different. In Artillery I found that Kentucky windage is prevalent, And sometimes Science has to take the back seat to Art. Never give up trying to extract more accuracy out of your weapon system. Sorry went down the road of sentiment.
Ok, aside from my rant, You don't have to dig deep for good wisdom. Thanks, MRH!!!!

I'm not that fussy about getting a "perfect zero" on a new long range (400+ yard) rifle (or new ammo, or after putting on a new scope) because it's going to shift anyway the next time I go to the range. Different day, different temperature, humidity, and atmospheric pressure. Different wind. Sun hitting me, and the target, from a different angle. I may be shooting in a different direction (compass heading).

I don't try for, or expect, a "first shot, cold bore" hit, unless I'm deer hunting.

And when I'm hunting, I'm shooting a lot CLOSER. And usually at dawn when there's no wind to deal with.

PISTOLS: I sight-in with range ammo and then shoot some carry ammo to see if there's a big difference in where the point of impact (POI) is. If there's a big shift, I'll normally sight-in for the carry ammo, but with SOME GUNS that I use more for the range and action pistol matches, I'll sight them in for the cheap range FMJ ammo and just make a mental note of how to adjust my aim if I have to take a 25-yard head shot with one of the +P defensive hollowpoints.

Lionheart do you use the same ammunition lot? Being Artillery we tend to think of all variables being held to a minimum. As the same lot of ammo would hold the muzzle velocity to a certain standard.

Yep. Usually I'm using custom ammo that is reloaded in 100 round lots with same brass, bullets, etc.

I have a couple of guns that shoot sub-moa with high quality factory ammo so I buy several boxes of that at one time. If I'm in a new box for the hunting year then I'll shoot a few rounds to check zero. It's usually spot on...

got a buddies thats been bitching at me because he wants to go up to ga gun club to shoot but im refusing too until i finish getting optics for the weapons i want to sight in because i want to knock them all out in one trip.

I'm not that fussy about getting a "perfect zero" on a new long range (400+ yard) rifle (or new ammo, or after putting on a new scope) because it's going to shift anyway the next time I go to the range. Different day, different temperature, humidity, and atmospheric pressure. Different wind. Sun hitting me, and the target, from a different angle. I may be shooting in a different direction (compass heading).

I don't try for, or expect, a "first shot, cold bore" hit, unless I'm deer hunting.

And when I'm hunting, I'm shooting a lot CLOSER. And usually at dawn when there's no wind to deal with.
Ah, but that's the real art/science of long range precision shooting. Being able to adapt to the environment so you can get those first shot, cold bore hits.

Yes, I can see the cost go up when you start thinking of premium ammunition. You also have to factor in the cost of bore sighting equipment unless you use the old fashioned method, well even then you need to consider a gun rest.

"Bore sighting" equipment is good for what exactly? I've never found any need for it, though I guess it might be good for confirming that your sights haven't moved after a fall, or years have passed, or whatever. Assuming you kept good records after properly sighting the gun in, otherwise it's valueless.

Put the gun on bags and remove the bolt, or pull the back pin on an AR and prop the receiver open. Look down the barrel and boresight at like 25 yards. Fire one shot. Adjust sights to get bullet about 1" below point of aim. Move to 100 yards (or 50 if you're not confident). Repeat. If you have good equipment, you're done in four shots. Call it 24 if you're trying to establish a perfect zero for much longer range shooting, but that's another story.

Buy a crapload of the EXACT SAME AMMO. Check every few years, or after any major impact to gun.

Now, if you have loose scope mounts or a cheap scope, you can be at this all day.

I absolutely expect 1st round hits at range. Have good data on your gun and round. Know your cold bore impact. Just takes a bit of extra time at the range, mainly just being cognizant of your cold bore shot. It is repeatable.

at range

Back
Top Bottom