• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Cost of Zero

That's a good thing. A lot of time we better ourselves when we note that others may have strayed from the basics. Better to learn from others making mistakes than making the mistake your self and not knowing it.

Fire five round group.
Measure group size and distance from point of aim.
Make adjustment based off "inches / minutes / clicks"
Fire five rounds to confirm.
Pack it up and go home.

I could do it with fewer rounds, but I like shooting, and a five round group gives a better representation of repeatability than a 3 round group.

The only Kentucky windage I ever used in 22 years of Field Artillery was a good FO making BOLD corrections. If you have good target location, good gun location, good MET, powder temp, and good chrono info, should be a FFE on the second round.

And that was in the charts and darts/wizz wheel days. Really easy after the computer was added in, and the Paladins made it dead simple.

Now maybe your unit didn't keep up with the MV's, ME, or have decent METs, might have to fudge those a bit, especially if you fell in on borrowed guns. Had some like that in Norway, but by the second trip we had those down as well.

The only Kentucky windage I ever used in 22 years of Field Artillery was a good FO making BOLD corrections. If you have good target location, good gun location, good MET, powder temp, and good chrono info, should be a FFE on the second round.

And that was in the charts and darts/wizz wheel days. Really easy after the computer was added in, and the Paladins made it dead simple.

Now maybe your unit didn't keep up with the MV's, ME, or have decent METs, might have to fudge those a bit, especially if you fell in on borrowed guns. Had some like that in Norway, but by the second trip we had those down as well.

So true, same with rifles when you zero, variables are weather info, Geo location= change in elevation and lat and long, and muzzle velocity. What would you hold constant, manufacturer's tolerance and shooter ability?????

I knew I would have to dig deep into FM - 40 mentality

So why is zero so important? Artillery zero means being within the effects of the rounds given all the variables. We are taught from an early age those guns place a round exactly where you aim them whether intentional or not. Never forget who you shoot for when you hear fire mission you are already late to the dance. Though we may add dignity to the brawl we do not forget the brawler. Hail Hail Infantry, Queen of Batte....I am growing old to have said this, dang lol.

Glad to hear that the thread is helpful, Here is more discussion, when you zero; the variables that can be accounted for are (1) weather, you can get from local sources or portable weather stations. I say variable because if you can account for it you would think that is can be stripped out. (2) Muzzle velocity can also be accounted for using a chronograph or the newer version like http://www.magnetospeed.com/
The other variable is the (3) geographical location, this is important due to the elevation above sea level, latitude, and longitude. If you zero here in GA and hunt the mountains in WY, location can be a factor in your zero.

Now I consider constant, two parts (4) manufacturer tolerances, this deals with all the play you have to have for things to fit and (5) shooter's ability. The reason I say shooter's ability and some folks would say it changes and it does, however, for a weapon's zero by the time I am an expert at shooting it would take more than just two or three zeros. So for the sake of this argument lets just say it will not change much for now.

So, if we can say that a trajectory is made of these five parts (1) weather,(2) muzzle velocity, (3) geo location,(4) manufacturers' tolerances and (5) shooter's ability. What if you could take out the first three and hold the last two constant? Suppose I zero in Benning and deploy to Bagram what has changed? Same rifle, different location, different weather, and I will be given different ammo lot=different muzzle velocity. If there was a method for the armorer to fire 10 rounds and get me a muzzle velocity, then the only thing left is to strip out the old variables add the new variables to the constants and I would have a new zero without having gone to a firing range.

Back
Top Bottom