• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The day none of us wants to face. Need a good septic guy (fixed now thank god)

CBH13

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
164   0
Reaction score
So yah. . . .bout that time. Couple weeks ago we noticed a wet spot in the backyard and now its time to get it figured out. Just had a guy come out and dig it up to give us a quote and said it looks like our drain field is toast. Now im not super familiar with these systems so i'll just describe what he told me. He said there is a box about 3 feet back from the actual septic tank that I guess the material flows into and then goes out into the fill lines. He says this is where the water is coming from. He gave me two solutions one was an entire new drain field which he quoted at about 7k, the second solution he said they can go in clear the lines and more or less refurbish the whole system for 2800, he said there is no guarantee this would work but they have had good success in the past and if the problem comes back within a year they will credit 1000 of the 2800 towards a new drain field.

So now that that's all said does anyone know if these prices are in line with the market? I know septic work is expensive but I've never had any done so I don't know exactly how expensive it should be lol. I am also completely open to a secondary quote if this happens to be any odt'ers profession.

I just paid $4500 to have a new tank and field lines put in a rental house.

hmm that is a pretty big difference. deff looks like I may need to get a second guy out here. do you remember the person you used? (even though I doubt they'd come out this far)

hmm that is a pretty big difference. deff looks like I may need to get a second guy out here. do you remember the person you used? (even though I doubt they'd come out this far)
I'll have to look. It was the guys that owned the company doing the work and not employees. Bigger the company, more overhead to recover. Not that I'm against capitalism. I'm just against spending more to get the same result. Shop around.

All I can say is dont mess around and dont go cheap because it could bite you big time. If you're lot is big enough, Id probably go ahead and lay a new field since it sounds like the existing one has stopped perking. Keep in mind, its hard to sell a house later on with an inoperable septic system. Do it right and get it over with. Get multiple quote/professional opinions.

7k for just the drain field does seem a bit high.

I had a tank, pump system (drain field had to be higher than the tank) and a drain field installed for $4,500 seven years ago.

Granted, seven years ago, but I'm not sure seven years would account for the difference.

Get some more quotes.

I just paid $4500 on a rental a couple of weeks ago. This included a fiberglass tank because there was no way to get a concrete on in there without spending big money. I got three prices from three guys that I was rocommnded. There were with 50 of each other and I opted for the first guy to get there. This was for a 3 bedroom house.

Back
Top Bottom