• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Dreaded 9mm Bulge!

I tried this. It was more than a few thousandths, but it worked. I removed a little metal from the shell holder, then ran the brass through the die. I could see the shiny ring going further down the case each time. 99 out of 100 dropped in the barrel. I'm happy.

This is why this reloading section exist! Congrats on obtaining a great result!

I had to do the same with .308 RCBS dies and Ruger 77V series.

I don't load as much 9mm as .45 but I have ran across bulges in 9mm cases from time to time. Usually I just chuck em in the bucket with all the military 9's and toss em. Since I don't shoot it as much, I don't really see the value in working too hard at it. Another thing that I am a little wary of in 9mm is cases that someone may have loaded to 9mm major. I just ain't into pushing the limits...

I only have 1 Glock, that I just bought recently. Heard about the Glock bulge, is that only for 9mm? My 41 (45acp) does not bulge any cases that I can see.

It can happen in any Glock, the chambers are looser than most other pistols. This makes them more reliable but also lets the brass stretch more in high pressure loadings. The 45ACP is lower pressure than most other auto cartridges and does not bulge as badly, but it can very much still happen and I have seen it myself on brass with a lot of loadings.

Back
Top Bottom