• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The forgotten muscle car (the younguns won’t understand)

I cut my teeth modifying and repairing cars like that. Started at 10 years old. My father taught me some and I use ride my Yamaha YZ80 when I was 10 or 11 and and older rider named Gary Hart use to let me help him work on his 67 Chevelle. I had learned how to repair washers and dryers before that. My dad would pay me 1 dollar to go with him and do Maytag repairs. His second job when I was in elementary school. I remember seeing a barracuda in that town in Ohio and just fell in love with them. The only one I could afford was a 74 Cuda' 360 later when I was 21 but the thing was beautiful and clean. Before that I owned a 67 Plymouth Belvedere and a 68 Dodge Charger. Before I bought the Cuda' I had an 87 Mustang GT new off the lot. In Maryland the insurance was so expensive I got one accident in my insurance payment per month was more than the car payment per month. So that was the end of that then I found the 74 Cuda' 360 paid $5,800 for it in 1987. It looked like it came off the showroom floor. You could actually afford to buy older cars back then. I wish I would have kept all of them.

My Uncle who worked for AMC had a beautiful 69 or 70. He even had pics of him driving the AMX-3 (I think that was the identifier). It was AMC's answer to the Pantera. Only a few were built.

1968_AMC_AMX_GT_Concept.jpg

I cut my teeth modifying and repairing cars like that. Started at 10 years old. My father taught me some and I use ride my Yamaha YZ80 when I was 10 or 11 and and older rider named Gary Hart use to let me help him work on his 67 Chevelle. I had learned how to repair washers and dryers before that. My dad would pay me 1 dollar to go with him and do Maytag repairs. His second job when I was in elementary school. I remember seeing a barracuda in that town in Ohio and just fell in love with them. The only one I could afford was a 74 Cuda' 360 later when I was 21 but the thing was beautiful and clean. Before that I owned a 67 Plymouth Belvedere and a 68 Dodge Charger. Before I bought the Cuda' I had an 87 Mustang GT new off the lot. In Maryland the insurance was so expensive I got one accident in my insurance payment per month was more than the car payment per month. So that was the end of that then I found the 74 Cuda' 360 paid $5,800 for it in 1987. It looked like it came off the showroom floor. You could actually afford to buy older cars back then. I wish I would have kept all of them.
Good story

Looking at these cars- I can almost smell that musty old vinyl smell all the cars of this era had. That and they way those hot seats would burn the crap out of the back of your leg.
And don't forget the carb loading up every now and then and gas oder would pour through the vents. Ahh heaven!

Back
Top Bottom