• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The forgotten muscle car (the younguns won’t understand)

I've got pics of those muscle cars somewhere but be damned if I can find them. The 67 belvedere I had I raced all the time. We lived about 5 to 7 miles away from a closed down Air Force Base. Those runways made excellent quarter mile drag strips. All we had to do was look out for lights coming because the police would patrol that area quite often. I outran everything I raced. The only cars that beat me were 67 pace cars Camaro with an LT1 that was hopped up and a extremely souped up trans am with the 455 in it. I had the trans am all the way down the drag strip but at the last few seconds I heard that 455 open up and he beat me by half a car link. There was this one guy that was the altus Air Force Base airplane mechanic and I raced him in his first car and just ripped a new one. So what does he do he goes out and finds the lightest car with the biggest motor he can find in it. Thing was a freaking Gremlin that somebody had dropped a modded up engine in. He did a bunch of work on the rear end tune to thing to perfection, gutted the inside of it and finally came to me and called me out. I raced him for 20 bucks and a case of beer. Needless to say we went across the tracks and bought " three for five " and then went and drink our case of beer. Oh my word was he pissed off. So mad he drove all the way back to altus at a hundred miles an hour. He was supposed to be staying with his friend in town. How many of you guys know what "three for five " is?

I have a 71 in the shop. my first car I ever had was a 71
1665069951645.jpeg

AMX, had one Blk/Blk four on the floor What most people don't know the major auto maker's collaborated to keep American motors afloat the X car......... Solid state ignition, SB mechanical oil pump and a tighter turn radius than a corvette ........
the tail end was so light had to Keep 200lbs sand in the trunk so it would hook up with a true posi-trac rear end it would hop around the curbs love that car hated the windshield wiper motor it was run off vacuum with a built motor every time engine went to idle the wipers stopped ............. LOL
My Dad’s old 50 Chevy truck was the same way if you went up a steep hill they would almost stop then going down they would fly. Good memories thanks

Back
Top Bottom