• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Hero of Greenwood Indiana

Absolutely. The perp (mall shooter) had already demonstrated his commitment to killing randomly and indiscriminately.
The young man that returned fire, I would wager did not count his rounds, did not think to himself "I'm executing this guy", and did not take time to consider book deals about being a hero. 15 seconds to react didn't afford him much luxury to focus on anything, except stopping a random murderer.
He simply reacted, and did what was necessary to protect/preserve innocent lives. His own, and those around him.
His reaction was to stop the threat, and save as many people as possible. He did so with accuracy, commitment, and courage.
I can only hope that my reaction would be as swift, accurate, and decisive as his.
I'm dang sure not gonna armchair quarterback that young man.
I'd like to think his contribution to this episode was partly his good character, partly a good upbringing, partly divine intervention, and maybe even some luck, but that doesn't change the fact that he was the right man, in the right place, at the right time, that did the right thing.
Oh I absolutely think you're right on cue there. He acted quickly and decisively and and like I said I think the guys a hero. He didn't hesitate for one minute to think about himself but only for those around him. I can only hope I would act the same way in that situation. I don't hold anything against that young man I think he reacted to the situation in hand and just didn't have time to give it much thought. The man was armed to the teeth with some High Caliber power.

Especially in light of all the shootings that have occurred where they just did not stop until somebody stop the shooter. That man could have taken out 30 people even injured.

I gotta say, with either one of the two handguns I carry most often, I could not have done this. Take down a bad guy from 40 yards away, while the bad guy is actively shooting people.

Not only don't my guns hold 10 rounds, but they're short barreled little pocket handguns that have an effective range of 50 feet for one of them and about 25 yards for the other.
GAgunLAWbooklet GAgunLAWbooklet serious question. Has this (or other) situations caused you to consider changing what it is you carry? I know we've discussed before how you feel that for you, a small revolver is "enough" and I certainly understand the ease of carrying something like that. Personally I've made my carry guns a bit bigger/more capable over the last few years. Despite being a 1911 loving FUDD at heart, but I also know that a gun with a dot/light/comp/higher capacity is faster in my hands, especially at distance and with movement.

I was just talking about myself in general in a self-defense situation at the house. That situation at the mall was handled as best it could be. Obviously the guy was still standing after three or four shots so he figured the threat wasn't neutralized until it was down.

GAgunLAWbooklet GAgunLAWbooklet serious question. Has this (or other) situations caused you to consider changing what it is you carry? I know we've discussed before how you feel that for you, a small revolver is "enough" and I certainly understand the ease of carrying something like that. Personally I've made my carry guns a bit bigger/more capable over the last few years. Despite being a 1911 loving FUDD at heart, but I also know that a gun with a dot/light/comp/higher capacity is faster in my hands, especially at distance and with movement.
This episode has made me rethink my EDC under normal conditions (Kahr Elite 2003). I usually wear a G45 with an extra mag if I'm going to an area where I think that might be needed. I think it might be needed anywhere in Macon now.

I recall the church shooting in which the usher dropped the gunman (after gunman shoots a parishioner, and a case where a neighbor hears gunfire runs inside, grabs his AR and drops a shooter coming out of a church where the bad guy shot/killed folks. Both good guys shot a fair distance for their weapon as I recall. Someone in a high place sure helped guide the bullets in all three cases.

This needs to be a match stage: Upon the beep, take cover and fire ten shots at silhouette at 40 yards. Eight hits in less than 15 seconds gets full credit.

Less and you go home. No refund. (Just kidding. Sorta.)

It's making me think that as RDS might not be such a bad idea, but at 40 yards, without the proper equipment, just exit.

I could pass that drill, with any of my belt-carried guns... probably my pocket 9s also. But only because I am obsessive about sights being dead-on, and own a sight-pusher... shoot a lot on a clock, and am an enthusiast. Most folks I see at the range couldn't get two out of ten at 40.

This episode has made me rethink my EDC under normal conditions (Kahr Elite 2003). I usually wear a G45 with an extra mag if I'm going to an area where I think that might be needed. I think it might be needed anywhere in Macon now.

I've done this, too. I went from an LCP or 1911 to a Sig 365xl with a dot, comp, light, mag guts (15 rounds) etc. It felt kinda silly building a Baby Race Gun but the damn thing shoots much faster and more accurately than the iron sight/short grip version of the gun I used to carry. I'm even listing the LCP for sale to replace with a second, slightly smaller 365.

Back
Top Bottom