• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Hero of Greenwood Indiana

@GAgunLAWbooklet serious question. Has this (or other) situations caused you to consider changing what it is you carry? I know we've discussed before how you feel that for you, a small revolver is "enough" and I certainly understand the ease of carrying something like that. Personally I've made my carry guns a bit bigger/more capable over the last few years. Despite being a 1911 loving FUDD at heart, but I also know that a gun with a dot/light/comp/higher capacity is faster in my hands, especially at distance and with movement.

This needs to be a match stage: Upon the beep, take cover and fire ten shots at silhouette at 40 yards. Eight hits in less than 15 seconds gets full credit.

Less and you go home. No refund. (Just kidding. Sorta.)

It's making me think that as RDS might not be such a bad idea, but at 40 yards, without the proper equipment, just exit.

I could pass that drill, with any of my belt-carried guns... probably my pocket 9s also. But only because I am obsessive about sights being dead-on, and own a sight-pusher... shoot a lot on a clock, and am an enthusiast. Most folks I see at the range couldn't get two out of ten at 40.
steviesterno steviesterno Fair question. I too rely on J frames revolvers mostly. It's more than a preference, but being in common situations where that is the most practical solution due to the necessity of attire or location.

I've had the same thought. Not bragging (too much) but I've put thousands of rounds downrange at 25 yds, using the B-25 full size silhouette, Considering stress, and all, I'm reasonably confident that I would get 3 out of 5 shots on target. "on target: meaning inside the silhouette, not in the 10 ring, Considering I'm shooting a .38 special, all 5 are going downrange no matter what. Then we can get into the discussion is 3 rounds enough to put down the shooter.

When I am less constricted by dress or venue, I tend to carry a S&W 3913 or Beretta Px4 Compact.

This needs to be a match stage: Upon the beep, take cover and fire ten shots at silhouette at 40 yards. Eight hits in less than 15 seconds gets full credit.

Less and you go home. No refund. (Just kidding. Sorta.)

It's making me think that as RDS might not be such a bad idea, but at 40 yards, without the proper equipment, just exit.

I could pass that drill, with any of my belt-carried guns... probably my pocket 9s also. But only because I am obsessive about sights being dead-on, and own a sight-pusher... shoot a lot on a clock, and am an enthusiast. Most folks I see at the range couldn't get two out of ten at 40.
Ive been wondering that about this guy. A lot of folks are talking about his training or lack there of but I kinda thought maybe he was IPSC shooter or one of those unlimited,run and gun guys. sounds like hes real familiar with moving and shooting.

Ive been wondering that about this guy. A lot of folks are talking about his training or lack there of but I kinda thought maybe he was IPSC shooter or one of those unlimited,run and gun guys. sounds like hes real familiar with moving and shooting.
I thought I read, He said his grandfather taught him how to shoot in an article on the inanet!!!! just rumor!!!

steviesterno steviesterno Fair question. I too rely on J frames revolvers mostly. It's more than a preference, but being in common situations where that is the most practical solution due to the necessity of attire or location.

I've had the same thought. Not bragging (too much) but I've put thousands of rounds downrange at 25 yds, using the B-25 full size silhouette, Considering stress, and all, I'm reasonably confident that I would get 3 out of 5 shots on target. "on target: meaning inside the silhouette, not in the 10 ring, Considering I'm shooting a .38 special, all 5 are going downrange no matter what. Then we can get into the discussion is 3 rounds enough to put down the shooter.

When I am less constricted by dress or venue, I tend to carry a S&W 3913 or Beretta Px4 Compact.
I realize that this was not addressed to me, but I thought I'd jump in as it's something that I think about almost daily.

If you read the account of what happened in Greenwood, the bad guy immediately sought cover (if not began retreating) upon taking rounds. While it was nice that the young man had more than one round; one round did seem to do the job.

It reminds me of the video from the internet cafe in Florida from a few years back. An older man lands one round of .380 from a Kahr pistol into the would be thief and he hightails it out of the store.

Mostly these days the only thing that I'm beginning to be concerned about capacity is for the number of targets I need to engage, not the number of times I might need to engage the same target.

I realize that this was not addressed to me, but I thought I'd jump in as it's something that I think about almost daily.

If you read the account of what happened in Greenwood, the bad guy immediately sought cover (if not began retreating) upon taking rounds. While it was nice that the young man had more than one round; one round did seem to do the job.

It reminds me of the video from the internet cafe in Florida from a few years back. An older man lands one round of .380 from a Kahr pistol into the would be thief and he hightails it out of the store.

Mostly these days the only thing that I'm beginning to be concerned about capacity is for the number of targets I need to engage, not the number of times I might need to engage the same target.

good point, and it certainly varies when we decide what "stopping a threat" is. MOST bad guys stop doing what they are doing when they got shot at, not even hit. So if he runs away it's mission accomplished for the individual who was attacked. I get that, and it's part of the reason I don't carry a glock with a 33 round mag or anything like that.

It's a trade off. I shoot rifles/shotguns better than pistols. I shoot full size race guns better than smaller carry guns. But I can live with the annoyance of a carry gun when I'm actually out in the world, I can't imagine walking around all day every day with a slung AR. All a trade off.

My concerns have changed because I have young kids. they are slow and borderline tactically useless in the best of times, let alone while things are going south. When I was young and single anyone outside spitting distance was not my problem. now? not so much

So it does sound like it was within 15 seconds he took the shooter down

I was under the impression that 15 seconds into the Beginning of the suspect shooting his rifle that the Eli stepped in and intervene But from things I’m reading and seeing it appears he had to shooter down and 15 seconds

So it does sound like it was within 15 seconds he took the shooter down

I was under the impression that 15 seconds into the Beginning of the suspect shooting his rifle that the Eli stepped in and intervene But from things I’m reading and seeing it appears he had to shooter down and 15 seconds
Yeah, 15 seconds from "contact" to "tango down."

What's even more impressive to me is that no one on that news station used the shooter's name. "The suspect" was all they said. That had to be a choice. Good for them.

15 seconds tells me he was carrying a 9 mm. Glock. No other gun in that caliber takes 15 seconds. It called the ( GLOCK CLOCK ). It's like a count down. Now I would have been carrying a 357mag wheel gun or a 10mm 1911. We are talking about 5 seconds to hit the ground with either one of those. They may be reliable but they reliably take ten to 10 to 15 shots to disarm the perp.. Hence the 15 seconds. The GLOCK CLOCK can vary from 15 seconds to 17 minutes. The human body can throw off 5 rounds from the Glock. LOL. So that's where the GLOCK CLOCK scale was implemented. The only time that time is less is if you are using deleted uranium rounds then it's a tad faster. That's why guys who carry Glocks have to speed train like a maniac just to be effective in the field. It's a shame so many get sold on an inferior firearm. 🤭

ZomboMeme 20072022155428.jpg

Back
Top Bottom