• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Hero of Greenwood Indiana

Having a firearm is only part of the plan. Gotta have awareness and even so…ya might just get caught off guard.
I hate to keep harping on the same subject, but to me, the main point here, and I am very moved by it, is not that Dickens was armed. but that he immediately put himself between the shooter and scores of innocent people, telling them to run and get out.

Sure he was armed, but we all know that he had no assurance that he wasn't going to be the next victim, or that he could disable the shooter. Yet he stepped up and put himself between the shooter, and his girl friend and scores of other women and children, which is more than any ONE of 300 plus LEO did in Uvalde.

I've watched and re-watched the Uvalde video, and there is simply nothing good you can say about it. You watch and you watch and there are those empty halls with a mass of cops at one end, and shooter in a 3rd grade classroom on the other end - and nothing in between, except some hand sanitizer.

I've watched and re-watched the Uvalde video, and there is simply nothing good you can say about it. You watch and you watch and there are those empty halls with a mass of cops at one end, and shooter in a 3rd grade classroom on the other end - and nothing in between, except some hand sanitizer.

Not defending the Uvalde cops, but these are wildly different scenarios that share only these traits: Whacko with a semi-auto, centerfire rifle, intent on killing innocents.

Uvalde cops have to go through a door where bullets are either already coming through or will be coming through the moment they do. Bad guy has concealment, maybe cover, and knows he is about to be attacked. No surprise element. The chances of the first guys through the door getting seriously wounded or killed during an assault on the classroom are pretty high.

The Greenwood bad guy doesn't know he's facing an armed threat. He's likely assuming he's got control and is in a target rich environment. Even though outgunned, the good guy is a sheepdog: At a glance, he's indistinguishable from the sheep. The herd is very effective concealment. The bad guy is unlikely to be aware of the good guy. The good guy has the element of surprise. If the good guy attacks effectively (he did), the bad guy is likely to lose (he did).

So was it 40 or 30 yards? Either way fine shooting but I’ve been hearing he spotted at 40 and moved up to 30 and took shots
They're saying now that he drew at 40 and advanced on the threat and engaged at 30, advancing on the threat...imagine that.
15 seconds from start to finish.

GAgunLAWbooklet GAgunLAWbooklet serious question. Has this (or other) situations caused you to consider changing what it is you carry? I know we've discussed before how you feel that for you, a small revolver is "enough" and I certainly understand the ease of carrying something like that. Personally I've made my carry guns a bit bigger/more capable over the last few years. Despite being a 1911 loving FUDD at heart, but I also know that a gun with a dot/light/comp/higher capacity is faster in my hands, especially at distance and with movement.

I don't carry any .22 rimfires or the P32 anymore. I sold a 2" barreled DAO .38 snubby and bought a 3" barreled version that can be thumb-cocked for better accuracy at long distances.

But I'm not "packing" my full size defensive handguns these days, DESPITE my awareness of how much better they'd be if the SHTF at some public place involving a mass shooter with a long gun.

I don't carry any .22 rimfires or the P32 anymore. I sold a 2" barreled DAO .38 snubby and bought a 3" barreled version that can be thumb-cocked for better accuracy at long distances.

But I'm not "packing" my full size defensive handguns these days, DESPITE my awareness of how much better they'd be if the SHTF at some public place involving a mass shooter with a long gun.
I carry a pocket gun on me, but have a G17 very handy in my vehicle and also a carbine that I have fast access to. I'll upgrade if the situation allows.

Back
Top Bottom