• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Kentucky Derby has been bought out

That rule existed in horse racing before most of us knew what a liberal was. My Dad owned a few race horses when I was a kid; so I got to spend a lot of time at the track. I was too young to be allowed in the stands where parimutuel betting took place; but I was allowed in the stables. During actual races I could watch from the trainer towers in the stable area.

I remember watching one race in particular at Gulfstream Park in Hallandale Beach, FL. A similar lane change took place with much worse consequences. The rear legs of the lead horse got tangled up with the front legs of the horse that got cut off. Three horses went down coming out of the turn just below the tower where I was standing. Two of the horses got back on their feet; but the third had a broken leg and couldn't get up. The track Vet came out and examined the horse. Then some guy came out and shot the horse in the head with a pistol. They hooked the dead horse's rear leg to a tractor and drug it off the track so the races could continue. It wasn't something easy for me to watch as an eleven year old kid.

I imagine in today's world the horse would be put down with a lethal injection; but things were done a little differently in 1948. Anyway, situations such as that is why we still have the rule about lane changing in horse racing. It took guts for the officials to call the violation in a race as big as the Derby; but their call was the correct one.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/maximum-security-kentuck-derby-new-video-043736761.html

Certainly met the letter of the law. However I find it hard to believe that in 150 years no other horse in the top 4 money spots ever changed lanes. Especially when you put 20 horses on the starting line in the mud. That being the case I feel like they just arrested the winner for speeding on 285 while he was doing five over. A correct call that also meets the letter of the law...but perhaps shouldn't be made.
If the West family puts the last 50 years of the Kentucky Derby on a tape and shows hundreds of other "violations" that were NOT enforced...well if I was in the jury box their horse would be the winner.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/maximum-security-kentuck-derby-new-video-043736761.html

I do not know anything horse race wise.. but this is what I saw in the video..MAXIMUM SECURITY won that race fair and square....WILL TO WIN wasnt playing fair at all...somebody won alot of money on making that call....

Funny I watched it and thought MaxSec came off the rail..blocking horses that had a good run on him and just about caused a wreck that would have taken out half the field..

I guess the racing commission and stewards saw it that way too..

Funny I watched it and thought MaxSec came off the rail..blocking horses that had a good run on him and just about caused a wreck that would have taken out half the field..

I guess the racing commission and stewards saw it that way too..
Like I said I'm not horse racer....but I didnt see that way...but I also watched with braill

Back
Top Bottom