• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The lasting impact of defective Remington 700 triggers

From the article:
"even as internal documents and outside tests have revealed problems"

BS!

The internal documents were from the development stage of the trigger and was more than a decade before the trigger went to market. It was long before the design was finished. That's what R&D is for.

Outside tests? Really? They have never been able to reproduce the supposed problem on an unmodified Remington 700 trigger under controlled conditions. Not even once. Not even with rifles that were supposed to have already done it.

I have fired many Remington 700s (possibly 100s) with both the Walker and X-Mark and have never had an issue. I firmly believe that everyone of these incidents was either an ND that the person does not want to take responsibility for or a poorly done after market modification of the trigger.

Remington, the largest American gun manufacturer, has been driven to bankruptcy by this clearly anti gun legal attack. Once they are done with them, who's next?

I hope you realize that is an unabashedly anti 2A pro gun control site?

Do your own research and decide how "guilty" Remington was.

"The Trace is an independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit newsroom dedicated to shining a light on America’s gun violence crisis."

Agreed ! CNBC was, is the ,main news source for the story. And I'm sure they fanned the flames a bit, but Remington has been proven at fault for there trigger mechanism failings .

From the article:
"even as internal documents and outside tests have revealed problems"

BS!

The internal documents were from the development stage of the trigger and was more than a decade before the trigger went to market. It was long before the design was finished. That's what R&D is for.

Outside tests? Really? They have never been able to reproduce the supposed problem on an unmodified Remington 700 trigger under controlled conditions. Not even once. Not even with rifles that were supposed to have already done it.

I have fired many Remington 700s (possibly 100s) with both the Walker and X-Mark and have never had an issue. I firmly believe that everyone of these incidents was either an ND that the person does not want to take responsibility for or a poorly done after market modification of the trigger.

Remington, the largest American gun manufacturer, has been driven to bankruptcy by this clearly anti gun legal attack. Once they are done with them, who's next?

I too have and own several 700's and never had a unintended misfiring. With all the reports, not just the ones your referring to, I find it hard to disprove all the claims.

As a Father of two sons this mans story moved me, however the older son loaded the rifle and was jokingly threatening the younger son with it.
Would the gun have fired with the safety on eventually? We don't know. Would anyone have been killed or injured if it did? We don't know.
We do know that the younger son wouldn't have had the top of his head blown off that night if the older son hadn't improperly handled the rifle.

I'm not trying to make light of the situation because I can't imagine losing a son, especially due to the actions of the other son, but this article mentions gun registration as a way this could have been prevented as each owner of the rifle could be directly contacted about the recall. I'm not convinced that registration could have prevented this tragedy or any other.

Yep! Gun registration would not have prevented this incident from happening, IMO. Every time a tragedy occurs, the gun control advocates scream control, registration!

Agreed ! CNBC was, is the ,main news source for the story. And I'm sure they fanned the flames a bit, but Remington has been proven at fault for there trigger mechanism failings .
What proof? They haven't even been able to prove the mechanisms have failed.

Remington finally gave up and agreed on a settlement after law suite, after law suite that were dismissed when the accusers finally found an anti gun Judge. Even then, Remington has clearly stated the accusations are BS, though they put it in better terms. As soon as they settled on the Walker trigger, accusations about the X-Mark trigger showed up. Do you really think that was a coincidence?

Remington is being targeted by the anti gunners who are preying on emotionally devastated individuals and families that are looking for any reason not to blame themselves for what happened.

What proof? They haven't even been able to prove the mechanisms have failed.

Remington finally gave up and agreed on a settlement after law suite, after law suite that were dismissed when the accusers finally found an anti gun Judge. Even then, Remington has clearly stated the accusations are BS, though they put it in better terms. As soon as they settled on the Walker trigger, accusations about the X-Mark trigger showed up. Do you really think that was a coincidence?

Remington is being targeted by the anti gunners who are preying on emotionally devastated individuals and families that are looking for any reason not to blame themselves for what happened.

I'm a life long Remington 700 fan, but it seems there's something to these claims.

I have had a rifle from Remington that had this issue. It happened inside of the house years ago. Had a 150 grain bullet zip through the wall, ceiling, and out the tin roof. Anyone can say it doesn't or can't happen because it didn't to them but it happened to me. Flipped the safety and boom it went off. It can very well happen.

I have had a rifle from Remington that had this issue. It happened inside of the house years ago. Had a 150 grain bullet zip through the wall, ceiling, and out the tin roof. Anyone can say it doesn't or can't happen because it didn't to them but it happened to me. Flipped the safety and boom it went off. It can very well happen.
Did it ever do it again?

Back
Top Bottom