• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The lasting impact of defective Remington 700 triggers

Bet you dollars to doughnuts that trigger has been altered in some way.

You've got a first hand account here from a respected member. You've got a video with a guy demonstrating the problem who states he hasn't altered the rifle, and he can repeatedly make it malfunction. You've got a link to sworn testimony from a former Remington engineer who says he was able to consistently repeat the malfunction on numerous test rifles.

I think it's fair to say you are prepared to disbelieve anyone who isn't you.

You've got a first hand account here from a respected member. You've got a video with a guy demonstrating the problem who states he hasn't altered the rifle, and he can repeatedly make it malfunction. You've got a link to sworn testimony from a former Remington engineer who says he was able to consistently repeat the malfunction on numerous test rifles.

I think it's fair to say you are prepared to disbelieve anyone who isn't you.
I'll have to go look for the link you talk about, but I listened very carefully to everything they guy said in the video and I'm pretty sure he never said it was unaltered.

I had an ND with a Winchester M70 one time that I could have sworn was exactly the issue the M700 is being accused of until I reproduced exactly what I had done with someone watching me and discovered I had made the mistake.

By the way: The Xmark Pro recall was voluntary on Remington's part. In the recall, they specifically site excess bonding agent (Loctite) as the source of the malfunction. Which happens to be the same thing Watkins, their former engineer, testified to.

I had an ND with a Winchester M70 one time that I could have sworn was exactly the issue the M700 is being accused of until I reproduced exactly what I had done with someone watching me and discovered I had made the mistake.

You making a mistake with another brand of rifle isn't really an "aha!" moment in this discussion.

You making a mistake with another brand of rifle isn't really an "aha!" moment in this discussion.
It's not meant to be, but if someone as experienced as I am with bolt action rifles can make the mistake and think it was an equipment problem, anyone can. That's why I always ask if it happened more than once.

Back
Top Bottom