• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Lost Art of Revolver Production

Leveraction44

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
33   0
Reaction score
The mechanics of a revolver are way more complicated than any modern auto pistol. I was shocked when I recently looked at a Ruger GP100 manual and saw how many of the parts needed to be hand fitted if replaced. I thought Sam Colt had taken care of that an awful long time ago. I was wrong. Any way, the last two revolvers, I purchased, both had major problems. I mean brand new revolvers, top of the line, from top tier manufacturers. One was a GP100 and the other was a S&W Performance Center 629 that has an MFR of $1559. Have we reached the point when semi autos have over taken revolvers even in terms of reliability? How crazy is that thought? It is like where have all the skilled craftsmen gone? Fifty years ago you could buy a revolver from a major manufacturer with complete confidence the revolver would function 100%. I can't say that any more.

What say you?

Used to be a time when craftsmen taught their trade to a lifelong journeyman.....that is going out the window.
They hire anybody to put these things together without regard to the product.

I thought Sam Colt had taken care of that an awful long time ago. I was wrong. Any way, the last two revolvers, I purchased, both had major problems. I mean brand new revolvers, top of the line, from top tier manufacturers.

f0ad8156dda07cd1ec610abf7f48867b.jpg

Just because revolvers are simple to use doesn't mean they are simple to make... Today's revolvers require much less hand fitting and tweaking than the old ones, but a modern, striker fired gun is always going to be simpler and more reliable over the long haul (thousands of rounds).

Unfortunately, I believe this is the same with many skilled trades. Look at the shortage of welders. Learning by doing, not by reading. Computer driven machines have replaced a lot of the art. Alas, computers, garbage in, garbage out. How far will your car go without a computer? I am ambivalent on the good and bad. Computers make us lazy and dependent. But then, isn't that exactly where the gubment wants you to be?

Almighty God has given us powerful skill sets that he will away when they are not used.
The old Smiths. Just beautiful. Made like a watch by men and women with pride.

The tolerances needed for proper function of traditional revolvers are very tight. The same part number, one being 2 thousandths different from another, and one will work, but the other won't. But in the next frame down the line, what works may be reversed.

Take a K frame Smith that has carryup issues, 2 thousandths fatter hand may be all it needs.

I'm still trying to figure out how Ruger made the triggers so good on the LCR series....

Yeah, those old guys had the zing. I like watching old videos on WWII innovation. North American designed the P51 Mustang and built a prototype minus engine in 117 days.

Compare that to the F35 project.

Sad, very sad.

Yeah, a revolver is more like a clock with the interactions of parts being critical for function. And that means hand-fitting.

Back
Top Bottom