• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The MEGA ARMS picture and discussion thread. >POST EM UP!<

Just for you BangBang BangBang - first look at my new MATEN... slowly coming together. Polished my trigger too, based on your thoughts earlier. Decided on the Radian Raptor ambi CH instead of the Mega Arms CH for now. This is a 16" Ballistic Advantage barrel, Toolcraft NiB BCG, and Aero Precision VG6 Gamma 762 FH/muzzle brake. Spikes Tactical enhanced LPK, with KNS anti-rotation pins, but used the Mega Arms trigger. The grip is an Ergogrip.net soft texture, included with the Spikes LPK, and used on many of my rifles. The stock is a Magpul STR but I am debating on swapping to an MFT Minimalist, also used on many of my rifles. I will be topping it with the Trijicon ACOG and RMR setup, shown above (and maybe with offset BUIS). For test firing, will take several other 308 builds and compare different length buffer springs and buffer weights to see what feels the best and helps on recoil, but that may be a few weeks away. Once she is dressed with optics, I will post an update. The lighting isn't great in the picture, especially sitting on that black leather background. In person, the colors seem to be a good match. Worst part of the build... those 12 tiny screws in the handguard, which were a real pain in the arse for my aging fingers.

MATEN_first_look.jpg

ACOG mounted, sitting with two other 308's. Must say, that MATEN (center of the three) is my favorite to look at. Anxious to fire and compare to the Troy MA-10 (bottom) and PSA PA-10 (top). Still thinking about Troy 45 degree offset BUIS, but that might be overkill.

308_Threesome.jpg

Just for you BangBang BangBang - first look at my new MATEN... slowly coming together. Polished my trigger too, based on your thoughts earlier. Decided on the Radian Raptor ambi CH instead of the Mega Arms CH for now. This is a 16" Ballistic Advantage barrel, Toolcraft NiB BCG, and Aero Precision VG6 Gamma 762 FH/muzzle brake. Spikes Tactical enhanced LPK, with KNS anti-rotation pins, but used the Mega Arms trigger. The grip is an Ergogrip.net soft texture, included with the Spikes LPK, and used on many of my rifles. The stock is a Magpul STR but I am debating on swapping to an MFT Minimalist, also used on many of my rifles. I will be topping it with the Trijicon ACOG and RMR setup, shown above (and maybe with offset BUIS). For test firing, will take several other 308 builds and compare different length buffer springs and buffer weights to see what feels the best and helps on recoil, but that may be a few weeks away. Once she is dressed with optics, I will post an update. The lighting isn't great in the picture, especially sitting on that black leather background. In person, the colors seem to be a good match. Worst part of the build... those 12 tiny screws in the handguard, which were a real pain in the arse for my aging fingers.

View attachment 1490873
Oh man! That thing is looking good!

I’d be interested to know what results you get with the different buffer/spring combinations.

ACOG mounted, sitting with two other 308's. Must say, that MATEN (center of the three) is my favorite to look at. Anxious to fire and compare to the Troy MA-10 (bottom) and PSA PA-10 (top). Still thinking about Troy 45 degree offset BUIS, but that might be overkill.

View attachment 1491980
Love this pic!

I see you’ve got different types of muzzle brakes on your different rifles. I’d be interested in your thoughts and opinions on those. I still have no idea what type to get for my Maten.

I see you’ve got different types of muzzle brakes on your different rifles. I’d be interested in your thoughts and opinions on those. I still have no idea what type to get for my Maten.

On the MATEN, chose the VG6 Gamma based on several you tube videos comparing muzzle rise, recoil, and flash suppression. Plus, it is "reasonably priced" at around $70 (compared to a standard flash hider, as on my PSA PA-10 at less than $10). I guess "reasonably priced" is up to interpretation. The Troy M10-A1 has the factory "medieval" flash suppressor. Once I test fire the MATEN, I hope to have results to share.

Link below to one of those comparison videos.

First shot out of the newly completed MATEN from about 45 yards, using the Trijicon ACOG "unzeroed". From the first mag of 20, had two light strike failures and a bolt catch failure on the first empty mag. Note that this was with a stock 556 buffer and spring, as a starting point. Recoil seemed okay and typical for the 308 round. Prior to firing second mag, swapped from the 3.25 inch, 3 ounce buffer to a shorty 2.5 inch, 3.8 ounce buffer, and a slightly longer spring that was pulled from my Troy M10A1. Didn't notice a recoil change, but I had no more light strike failures plus the bolt catch hold back issue was fixed. My guess is that the longer 3.25 inch AR15 buffer possibly prevented full rear bolt travel, whereas the shorty buffer got the BCG back behind the bolt catch. Make sense? Will need more time and rounds to confirm, but nothing but smiles for 60 rounds.

UPDATE: Confirmed bolt catch empty mag hold worked just fine with the shorty 2.5" buffer. I prefer the shorter 556 stock extension/buffer tube because it closes tighter and more compactly. The 3.25" buffer needs the extra 3/4" 308 buffer tube length, like in my PSA PA-10. This MATEN was my first AR10 style build but probably will not be my last.

IMG_1415.jpg

Image below of first 20 rounds fired, as I zeroed the ACOG. Only have about 45 yard distance at the lake house, while firing from just outside my front door into a good backstop. The final bullseye had me feeling good at this minimal distance. Time to move to the ACOG mounted RMR.
IMG_1416.jpg

Two images below using RMR. Realized I didn't have extra targets so improvised with blue tape. Top image is first RMR shot, un-zeroed. Second shot is after a couple clicks to zero. The round was dead-on and pushed the stick-on bullseye into my cardboard target. Must say, I am loving this MATEN, but also getting into the ACOG and RMR combo. Happy camper for sure!!
IMG_1417.jpg
IMG_1418.jpg

First shot out of the newly completed MATEN from about 45 yards, using the Trijicon ACOG "unzeroed". From the first mag of 20, had two light strike failures and a bolt catch failure on the first empty mag. Note that this was with a stock 556 buffer and spring, as a starting point. Recoil seemed okay and typical for the 308 round. Prior to firing second mag, swapped from the 3.25 inch, 3 ounce buffer to a shorty 2.5 inch, 3.8 ounce buffer, and a slightly longer spring that was pulled from my Troy M10A1. Didn't notice a recoil change, but I had no more light strike failures plus the bolt catch hold back issue was fixed. My guess is that the longer 3.25 inch AR15 buffer possibly prevented full rear bolt travel, whereas the shorty buffer got the BCG back behind the bolt catch. Make sense? Will need more time and rounds to confirm, but nothing but smiles for 60 rounds.

UPDATE: Confirmed bolt catch empty mag hold worked just fine with the shorty 2.5" buffer. I prefer the shorter 556 stock extension/buffer tube because it closes tighter and more compactly. The 3.25" buffer needs the extra 3/4" 308 buffer tube length, like in my PSA PA-10. This MATEN was my first AR10 style build but probably will not be my last.

View attachment 1496509
AWESOME! Glad you got it running 100%

I’ve read that if you use a standard AR15 carbine buffer tube then you can’t use an AR15 buffer because it’s too long to be used with a 308 BCG. You have to use the shorter AR10 buffer.

You obviously figured that part out, but the light primer strikes have me stumped.

I can’t figure out how the wrong buffer would cause that to happen?

I still have no ETA on when I’ll actually be able to buy all the parts to assemble my Maten, but I appreciate all the “real world” info you’re posting up!

I’m planning on running an AR15 buffer tube like you. I ordered an AR10 buffer spring that’s designed for use in an AR15 tube and a Colt 2.5” buffer that weighs 5oz.

The buffer is what Colt uses in their modular 5.56/7.62 rifle. The gun can be converted back and forth between calibers by swapping uppers and buffers/springs. The gun has a standard AR15 buffer tube so I think the 308 buffer from it should work for my Maten setup.

I’m sure our resident high priest of the “Colt Cult” has already seen it, but I’ll tag him anyway....

fast306stang fast306stang

https://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/gun-test-colts-m-a-r-c-901-series-of-ar-carbines/

"Resident high priest???" I'm just a peasant!

I've seen the modular Colt (only online), Arms Unlimited either has it or stuff for it, or both, I can't remember. It's a novel idea, but it's $$$ and I'm not interested in anything .308 right now, ammo is too expensive for me to consider it...

Back
Top Bottom