• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Monos Are Moving to Denver

TresMonos

Wolf Icon Lifetime Supporter
It's Great To Be Back Home
138   0
Reaction score
Probably by September....

About three weeks ago my Director, who lives in Massachusets and my Manager, who lives in Louisiana decided to make a surprise unannounced visit to Atlanta to have a mandatory meeting with the 5 remaining members of the Atlanta Team.....we got like 12 hours notice.

Those kind of visits are never good, right?

So I went in on my day off expecting to be RIF'd....what they told us was only a little bit better. Started out telling us the Atlanta Ops Team was being shuttered but they value us as critical employees, YaDa YaDa Yada (insert more platitudes here). My heart skipped a few beats but it wasn't really a surprise. The writing has been on the wall since my current employer bought our company and even though management had said time and again that Atlanta would always be a core location for Ops, it was clear that the business model would not support three core locations. Corporate lackeys lie all the time..... So between the three core locations it was inevitable that one would be shuttered. Then they gave the five of us three options.

1. Find a position inside my current employer in the Atlanta office on another team (there are only 2 jobs listed here, sales or customer service, and I would not be happy doing either)
  2. Take a relocation package and choose to remain on the team but move to either one of the other two core locations.....either a swamp in Louisiana or to Denver 1500 miles away from family. The relo package includes a paltry sum to move...
  3. Accept the standard RIF package which for me would be 30 weeks pay (based on my 15 years time in title) and a hearty pat on the back for a job well done (here's the door, don't let it hit ya on the way out).

Last week my current employer paid for us to go and check out Denver. Well they covered the hotel and rental car for the week, we had to spring for air fare. We liked it but housing is CRAZY expensive out there. Mrs. Monos and I discussed checking out the Louisiana swamps as an alternative but aside from my current employer there is no other supporting industry for me to fall back on should they still choose to RIF me down the line. Denver, at least, has many employment options other than my current employer. We decided the Louisiana swamps were out as an option.

We have to make our decision final on July 11th so unless a miracle happens in the next few days, it looks like the Monos clan will probably be moving to Denver at the end of August or shortly thereafter.

This kinda sux BUT it could also be really good. I mentioned that there are only 2 job listings for the Atlanta office....well as of this posting there are 187 job listings in Denver for various groups within my current employer so the potential for eventually changing departments or moving up to an engineering role is greatly enhanced out there. There are two offices to choose to work from. One is in the north and one is in the south of Denver. In the last week we drove around 500 miles checking out Denver proper and the surrounding suburbs near those offices, with a side trip to Colorado Springs on the fourth to relax, decompress, see Pikes Peak and be tourists. I think we will choose the southern area but we can't be sure until we sell our condo here and see what is on the market out there. That writing on the wall I was talking about earlier told us to go ahead and sell our rental property in Paulding County in April so we got ahead of that one.

Mrs. Monos will be moving away from her parents just as her Father starts dealing with early onset Alzheimer's and well,,,,My Mom turns 90 this year and is no spring chicken herself. She's slowing down, and my brother is no real support mechanism for her. Southern boys and their Mama's, this is not an ideal solution...I will worry about her, and she will not even consider moving.

Cheers! It could be worse, right???

Denver is kind of spotty in some places, but the country around there is beautiful.

Housing prices are jacked up since all the CA refugees have been running up property values, but it's probably no worse than the metro-ATL area as a whole. Not like moving to NYC or San Fran would be.

It sounds like you are pretty attached to your company, but depending on the industry unemployment in the ATL area is right around zero. It may be worth it to just take severance and find another company around here. That 30 weeks gives you a lot of time to look for something perfect, rather than settling for whatever's next.

If you do go, dump all your mags that are more than 15 rounds... and be prepared for lots of gun control drama. It really is a refuge for the CA refugees, and not the good ones.

EDIT: Also, have you done Winter? Not Atlanta 'winter' but a winter with snowpack (if you have to ask you haven't), months of sub-freezing temps, and not having 'it's snowing' as an excuse to miss work?

You're at the foothills of the Rockies there, and real winter starts around October and ends roughly in May. If you buy a house factor in roughly $1000 right off the bat for snow equipment or a plowing service.

Not trying to dissuade you... but if you've never had to deal with a full-on winter season you will need to factor that into your plans.

Does your company drug test? If not enjoy the recreational wacky tobaccy.
Nope
In for late night post form TresMonos TresMonos when he's high on the jazz cabbage.
Stay Tuned
www.sherv.net_cm_emo_smoke_monkey_with_glasses_smoking_smiley_emoticon.gif

(BTW how do you know I haven't been high on the jazz cabbage all this time? Normal is relative, man....)

Doesn't sound like you are in upper management if you have a Manager and a Director above you. I would seriously consider taking the 30 weeks and finding something else here. Denver living on $100k is barely making it, Atlanta you can do it well on $80k.

Let me know when you decide to sell all your "high capacity" mags and evil black rifles.

Yeah, mail me some gummies when you get there. I would have had to go with LA vs. CO just because of the cold, but it sounds like your opportunities are out west. Good luck.

Out of curiosity, what do you do? I'd take the 30 weeks and get another job in Atlanta given the situation with the parents.

The joke in our family is that my in-laws (in their 80s) want to move out of metro Atlanta but they're waiting for me to die...

What a hard choice to make.

Like others have asked/suggested, what's the ATL scene look like for your kind of work? Turn those 30 weeks into a bonus instead of a severance. Knock you up a couple of tax brackets but how nice would the extra green be?

Colorado is a beautiful state and the skiing is great if you like that. Prolly need to get snow tires for the upcoming winter.

Best of luck to you!

Reactions: JWC
Back
Top Bottom