• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Monos Are Moving to Denver

More like 8-9 hours there and once you get there the nearest large town for shopping and stuff is 90 miles away.....yeah, it's a no. Mrs. Monos put her paw down.
i can see that

me personally, after 31 years of living in atlanta i hate people and want to live alone in a swamp lol

Let me ask you this question Tresmonos. If this job was in California would you be considering it? If the answer is no then you are making a big mistake going to Colorado. That's about as simple as I can put it.

If you do decide to go make sure you are getting hefty cost of living raise and a good move package. Housing is through the roof out there now. Registering your vehicles will be very expensive as well. If it wasn't for our military exemption my 2016 Ram truck would have been costing me about $1200 a year to put a tag on it. It goes down over time but it's ridiculous. Lot's of little things like that just start adding up.

Let me ask you this question Tresmonos. If this job was in California would you be considering it? If the answer is no then you are making a big mistake going to Colorado. That's about as simple as I can put it.

If you do decide to go make sure you are getting hefty cost of living raise and a good move package. Housing is through the roof out there now. Registering your vehicles will be very expensive as well. If it wasn't for our military exemption my 2016 Ram truck would have been costing me about $1200 a year to put a tag on it. It goes down over time but it's ridiculous. Lot's of little things like that just start adding up.

I don't think we're anywhere near the level of stupid in CA but we're certainly getting there.

To be brutally honest, part of the problem too is that people are taking the chicken**** way out and leaving instead of staying to fight. However, I can't fault anyone for that, you have to do what you feel is best for you and your family.

I do believe part of the reason they have yet to pass even more restrictive anti-2a legislation is the threat (and successes) we've had with recalls when they go full retard. There's a strong pro-2a community out here that puts up a good fight. The kick in the nuts is the full on Dem legislature and partisan stacked committees have generally made up their minds. Keep in mind that Denver proper/Boulder and to some degree that ****hole they call Pueblo are mostly liberal scum surrounded by mostly good folks and unfortunately like many other states the urbanites outvote the rural. For the most part all the rural counties go red and Denver/Boulder and Pueblo go solid blue. If more stayed to fight, and more conservative and pro 2a people came here, we might have a fighting chance.

Sadly, I think our time is running out.

I sent TresMonos a long PM reply about all the issues he'll have to deal with here in Colorado.

For the time being, the only restrictions are background checks on private sales and 15 rd mags - through +15 were grandfathered and it's a joke as far as any sort of enforcement. Shops all over the state openly sell 30rd pmags. Bring a D50 or a Surefire 60 or pmag 40 to most any range and all anyone wants to know is if they can check it out or shoot it. Just stay out of Denver with it.

For the time being, the only restrictions are background checks on private sales and 15 rd mags - through +15 were grandfathered and it's a joke as far as any sort of enforcement. Shops all over the state openly sell 30rd pmags. Bring a D50 or a Surefire 60 or pmag 40 to most any range and all anyone wants to know is if they can check it out or shoot it. Just stay out of Denver with it.
I shared your long PMs with the wife over coffee this morning. Thanks for the information. Most we expected but the vehicle registration and fees was a surprise. We just both bought newer cars in the last year and paid the GD GA TAFT tax on them here....now we will be taxed again on them. That really sux.

Private sale BG checks suck, I may have to run a fire sale on a few pistols here before I go to thin the herd. I have a few nice Berettas I don't shoot all that often.

I have several drums and many many pmags. Also many pistol mags with a higher capacity then 15 but they all should be grandfathered. If I do go armed into Denver I will keep it to 15 or less and just stack em.

My career forced me to move to Atlanta 25 years ago. My employer "paid" my moving expenses. Truth is it cost about 3 times what was paid, AND I had to pay income tax on what the employer paid.

Lots and lots of hidden costs involved in moving cross country. Look at everything, including caring for elderly family members. I ended up having to split with my brother staying with my elderly mother for almost a year, 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off.

It is tough when your job leaves town, even tougher when they go chapter 7 less than 3 years later.

Good luck to you, that is a tough decision you are facing.

My career forced me to move to Atlanta 25 years ago. My employer "paid" my moving expenses. Truth is it cost about 3 times what was paid, AND I had to pay income tax on what the employer paid.

I've see that happen as well. My company has stated that the relo expenses will include a tax adjustment bump so I don't have to pay taxes on that money. This is a new one on me but I ain't gonna say no.

.... My employer "paid" my moving expenses. Truth is it cost about 3 times what was paid, AND I had to pay income tax on what the employer paid.

Lots and lots of hidden costs involved in moving cross country.

^Yep. We had an extremely good move package from my employer when we went out there but a lot of hidden costs come up that you never think of. The ridiculous vehicle registration fees for instance (we had 2 cars and 2 motorcycles, talk about sticker shock).

Some other things to consider... Be mindful of your housing budget, stay under what you think you can afford because I guarantee you your insurance and property taxes will climb significantly every year.
A lot of people out there are getting screwed because the state/counties are re-assessing property values every year so your taxes keep going up and up. They buy a home at the top of their budget then the next year it gets re-assessed at a significant higher value causing the taxes to go up. Then the next year it goes up again. Pretty soon that $350K house you bought you are paying taxes on a $450K house. Good for re-sale of course but not if you are staying in it.

Back
Top Bottom