• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

*The Official Cast Bullet Thread*

Try some Varget if you have any. You can get Varget loads downright painful and frightening, but still be in "the zone".
I'm going to add that to my list of powders. Data looks pretty good, from Hodgon's online reloading data: 55gr compressed with a 400gr bullet will put out 1845fps (3024 ft/lb) at only 25,000 CUP.

Going to have to make a trip out this weekend so I will make the loop and look for powders. I've got the chrono again this weekend so I hope to be able to do some work on loads.

The lube is a mix of molybdenum sulfide axle grease and beeswax with some Kroil oil dribbled into it. I also tumble lubed them with Lee ALOX. Run em hard.
I loaded up 5 of these just to put over the chrono this morning.

45-70 405gr with EMC45's lube
44.5gr of IMR 4198 in WW brass with WLR primers 2.55 COL
Avg vel 1815 fps (2963 ft/lb)
No leading

I'm looking for bullets/projectiles for the 480 Ruger. I believe it's actually .475/.476. Any suggestions?
Well no one else has stepped up...
I've never loaded for the .480 and i don't have experience with these bullets but I have had excellent results with Penn Bullets, I would trust these bullets to do what they say they will do.
http://www.pennbullets.com/475/475-caliber.html

The company is kind of old fashioned (the order form is weird) and service is pretty slow (they make bullets in batches to order, if they dont make what you want for 3 weeks your sitting and waiting) But they are some great bullets at a pretty good price.

Any recommendations for an alloy (home poured or store bought) for shooting through a Glock? Looking for mild, practice loads, nothing hot, in a 45ACP.

Have had good results from everything I've tried through a Desert Eagles 44 polygon barrel. I've heard of plenty of people say they have good results through a Glocks but I dont know of any specific bullets there using.

BigBrass, nothing wrong with plain old wheel weights. It's a great alloy for any low-pressure round. There's a lot of folklore about using harder alloys to get less leading, but my experience has been exactly the opposite: Software alloys deform and seal better against blow-by. As long as the lube is up to the job at hand, soft alloy bullets deliver decently clean barrels and excellent accuracy.

I don't shoot through polygonal barrels, so I can't lend any experience to that.

Back
Top Bottom