• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

THE PLATE CARRIER / CHEST RIG THREAD

long winded reply
Grandmasta J Grandmasta J I wish I had the money to burn 300. But the rattler I went with (or SBR AR 300) don't have ot be high-use guns. They are common enough that I can train with a 22lr upper, or anything else with AR controls transfers over. So really I don't need to spend any more ammo than needed to sight in and verify function from time to time.

300 subs are hilarious to shoot, but really a 220 gn round going subsonic is just a 45acp, so not really worth the expense to me. May as well go supers

Grandmasta J Grandmasta J I wish I had the money to burn 300. But the rattler I went with (or SBR AR 300) don't have ot be high-use guns. They are common enough that I can train with a 22lr upper, or anything else with AR controls transfers over. So really I don't need to spend any more ammo than needed to sight in and verify function from time to time.

300 subs are hilarious to shoot, but really a 220 gn round going subsonic is just a 45acp, so not really worth the expense to me. May as well go supers
Fair enough.

How do yall feel about amazon carriers for a backup/truck carrier?
Having recently had an active shooter next door that killed 2 police officers and with his only means of escape being through my yard/house and wearing my kit for 5 solid hours while being sidelined by a SWAT stand off…. Buy quality kit. Buy the lightest plates you can afford and get a used or minimalist carrier. The extra couple of bucks is long forgotten should you ever “need” your gear and a situation where you need it can and will be uncomfortable as hell anyway.

Having recently had an active shooter next door that killed 2 police officers and with his only means of escape being through my yard/house and wearing my kit for 5 solid hours while being sidelined by a SWAT stand off…. Buy quality kit. Buy the lightest plates you can afford and get a used or minimalist carrier. The extra couple of bucks is long forgotten should you ever “need” your gear and a situation where you need it can and will be uncomfortable as hell anyway.
Those perps had kits too I believe. Or at least one of them had a kit and a cache of weapons in the house. Ya just never know. Always be prepared and the money is worth your life when it comes to buying quality and not airsoft Chinese made stuff. Glad you’re safe through that **** storm that happened. Nice area too where this happened.

Those perps had kits too I believe. Or at least one of them had a kit and a cache of weapons in the house. Ya just never know. Always be prepared and the money is worth your life when it comes to buying quality and not airsoft Chinese made stuff. Glad you’re safe through that **** storm that happened. Nice area too where this happened.
Yeah they did have gear and no violent history. Zero to 60. at times I’ve felt silly owning a few hundred bucks worth of armor and using a 300bo rattler with $2/round ammo and “unreasonable” amount of money tied up in getting it set up right and training with it. But with a round of Hornady TAP in the pipe, 29 more on deck, 60 more on my chest, I was slightly bulletproof and the only thing between my children and legit evil. Thankful every day he didn’t chose to flee through my yard/house because it would have gotten really loud really fast. My can for the rattler is still in jail and 300supers are loud…

1665334308148.png

Here's my body armor: Surplus German national police concealable vest, Kevlar, should be up to NIJ Level IIIA standards (but of course was never officially submitted to the NIJ for lab testing).
No hard plates. No trauma plate, even. Old stock, never issued (or never worn, until I got it).
Only paid $100. You can buy them all over the internet for $200.

1665334677701.png

My 1989 date Point Blank vest, Level IIA,
isn't something I wear anymore, but I still have it,
and every 10 years I shoot it a few times with the
most powerful handguns it's supposed to stop,
and it always stops those bullets.

If the SHTF, I'd use this as a loaner to a friend
or maybe wear it UNDER my other soft body armor,
for extra layers of protection. This Point Blank vest has
a small steel trauma plate that is intended to reduce
backface signature for the more powerful handgun bullets.

Back
Top Bottom